Stuffed cabbage rolls

stuffed cabb dupl

One of these dishes that taste better than it looks. What makes this dish so delightful is the tender leaves cooked in a lemony and garlicky broth. Learned a new tip: Prior to lining the pot with the rolled leaves,pour 1/3 cup of olive oil, three tablespooons of  mashed garlic and three tablespoons of dry mint and let the mixture sizzle for a few seconds; the sauce will infuse the  stuffed leaves during cooking.

pot filled

It is hard to give exact proportions here, as it depends on the size of the cabbage; an average cabbage would not need more than 1/2 pound of ground meat and about one cup of short-grain rice, previously soaked in water for 30 minutes or so. Make sure you boil the leaves prior to stuffing them until tender.

IMG_6452

IMG_6449

For a standard recipe, click here.

dup fry mint pesto

dup cabbage rolls

kheddarji

1. Posted January 17, 2014 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Delicious and healthy! I’m a big fan of cabbage.

2. Posted January 17, 2014 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Nice post, yummy foods. I love traditional foods. I am right now in Cruise on the blue water of Dubai enjoying traditional Arabic foods.

3. Posted January 17, 2014 at 3:15 am | Permalink

I love meat stuffed cabbage in all the cuisines I have tasted so far. Milan has a typical dish made with stuffed cabbage leaves too. Your description of the lemony, garlicy broth the leaves are cooked in sounds delicious!

4. Posted January 17, 2014 at 8:31 am | Permalink

I make stuffed cabbage rolls every year in the cooler months. I enjoyed seeing this style of preparation-the olive oil and garlic is nice. My rolls are fatter stuffed with ground beef and rice, with seasoning but then simmered in vegetable juice (V8-low sodium) with just a touch of brown sugar, It probably takes on a more Eastern European style.

Love this-thanks for sharing.

Velva

5. Posted January 17, 2014 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Yea!!! My comment posted!!!

6. Posted January 17, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Love it! Cabbage gets such little attention.

7. Sylva
    Posted January 17, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

This is a keeper!!! Very good comfort food that is easy to prepare!! Another winner Joumana!!!

8. Posted January 17, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

A new way to make stuffed cabbage leaves! Yammmmm! :)
    There is a Romanian dish called “sarmale”, but they use sourkrout (sour cabbage) and in the stuffing there is used a mix of pork and veal meat (traditionally) and they are slow cooked in clay pots in the oven :).

9. Posted January 18, 2014 at 1:58 am | Permalink

J’ai fait des feuilles de vigne farcies mais pas encore de feuilles de chou … ce qui ne tardera plus, maintenant !
    Bisous
    hélène

10. Posted January 18, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Stuffed cabbage is one of my favorite things to order at ethnic restaurants but one thing I have never tried making myself. This sounds delicious and thank you for the tips on flavoring the water.

11. Posted January 22, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

No, to tell you the truth it is not very pretty but oh it sounds so much more delicious than my mom’s stuffed cabbage! Funny that since moving to France I have fallen in love with cabbage and can’t get enough of it. I love this recipe.

12. Posted February 11, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

OOOOHHHHH love this so much!!!