Pomegranate drink

blog pom drink

This drink is inspired by a punch I had at a beach wedding in Lebanon; one of these lavish weddings that take place in the country, making you feel like you are in a world of fairy tales.

To reproduce this drink, I am going to insist that fresh pomegranates be used.

INGREDIENTS: 4 servings

4 large sweet pomegranates

1 ½ tsp rose water

Syrup made of 1 cup of sugar and ½ cup of water with a teaspoon of lemon juice.

½ cup pine nuts (previously soaked in 1 cup of water for one hour)

1. Make the sugar syrup; place the sugar and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil; simmer for 5 minutes then add the lemon juice. Cool the syrup.
  2. Peel the pomegranates and place in the bowl of a food processor; run the machine for a few seconds; transfer the contents of the bowl to a large sieve and press to extract as much juice as possible. Transfer the juice to a bowl.
  3. Add ½ cup of syrup and the rose water. Taste and add more if needed. Stir. Transfer to serving glasses and drop 2 tablespoons of pine nuts in each glass; keep in the fridge until serving.

fg pom drink

blog pom blossom

1. Posted August 22, 2014 at 9:09 am | Permalink

This pomegranate drink looks so lovely and refreshing! Can I ask why you would soak the pine nuts for so long?

Posted August 22, 2014 at 9:15 am | Permalink

@Joy: you can soak them for 30 minutes too. It is customary in Lebanon to soak the nuts prior to use. I found out later that it gets rid of toxins and microbes that way. Just to be on the safe side, as the nuts one gets at the store are not the cleanest.

3. Posted August 22, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

This looks refreshing and I have to admit I’m not sure I would like nuts in my drink lol. I have a recipe from here in Saudi that has them as well and also they smoke the drink too. Have you ever heard of that?

Posted August 23, 2014 at 4:57 am | Permalink

@Noor: Yes, in fact I bought some incense from KSA in order to make some jellab. Jellab also is smoked.

5. marelene
    Posted August 23, 2014 at 8:21 am | Permalink

hello joumana!
    hope you’re doing good
    have you ever had coconut namoura ? i had some yesterday at a friend’s house and i loved it .

6. Posted August 23, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Yes, that is the recipe I have as well. I always wanted to make it. Is it good? They sell smoked laban here and wow, it’s good.

Posted August 23, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

@marlene, sure I made it and posted about it too! :)

8. Posted August 23, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

So pretty, and the floating pine nuts are a lovely touch.

9. humble_pie
    Posted August 23, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

once again, drifting & dreaming among the succulent food references.

smoked drinks! smoked jellab! fairytale country weddings!

i don’t think i’d like smoked drinks. Smoke is not a flavour i associate with summer drinks. I’d sure go for that maker of mandarin, mint & mulberry syrups at the organic market, though.

i never did tell you about the delicious deep rose pink syrup i once made from wild milkweed blossoms, though, did i? I got the idea from a cook near here who specializes in la gastronomie forestière & then i found armloads of fragrant pink milkweed blooms growing in the wild on july the first, which is canada’s national day.

my syrup was, if i may be forgiven for thinking so, even better than madame le sous-chef. Darker pink, less dilute, stronger, more flavourful. How to describe the flavour? impossible to describe. It was tasting heaven.

i made over 3 litres. We used most of it up on yoghurt.

Posted August 24, 2014 at 4:33 am | Permalink

@humble_pie: How fascinating! I think you need to have your own blog or something to store all this interesting information. :)

11. Posted August 24, 2014 at 6:22 am | Permalink

That sounds so delicious!

I think you are right that amardeen is exactly what my ice cream needed!

12. Posted August 24, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I love the pomegranate juice that we are able to purchase in stores here so I know I would love this. I think I would even rather drink the juice than eat the fruit. Fascinating about the pine nuts!

13. Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:52 am | Permalink

Hi Joumana:

This looks fabulous!

I love anything pomegranate – especially drinks and syrups. All across Central Asia and Western China they will just slice the pomegranates in two and squeeze the juice out for you – as fresh and as tart as can be.

Must try your more cultured drink soon!

Laura

Posted August 25, 2014 at 6:56 am | Permalink

@Laura@Silkroad: I always count on you to provide the worldly and historic sketch to the recipe! Thanks Laura! :)

15. Posted August 26, 2014 at 5:55 am | Permalink

Je connais le jus de grenade mais pas préparé de cette façon. Ça semble délicieux.
    A tester rapidement.