When the weather is warm, who wants heavy food?
Light, grills in five minutes, baby octopus salad is the answer in my book.
- 1 pound baby octopus
- 2 large lemons
- olive oil
- Dressing: 2 cloves of garlic, mashed with a pinch of salt, juice of a large lemon, olive oil, a generous pinch of hot Aleppo pepper.
- 2 Large tablespoons of grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large Armenian cucumber (or any other cucumber)
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- Most likely the baby octopus will already be cleaned and ready to go; if not, you can cut off the head, turn it inside out and scrape out the stuff inside the head; cut the middle hard part between the head and the body.
- Place the octopus in a bowl and pour some marinade on it: fresh grated ginger, some garlic, some olive oil, the juice of a lemon. Set aside and heat the grill.
- Chop and dice tomatoes and onions and cucumbers and parsley.
- Grill the octopus for 5 minutes.
- Mix the dressing and pour over the octopus and all the other vegetables. Serve.
The variety of cucumber I used for this salad is found at the middle-eastern grocer and is very common in Lebanon, where it is called mekte.
Here, these cucumbers go by the name of Armenian cucumbers. They are very crunchy and have no seeds.
42 Comments • Comments Feed