If you are interested in saving some time and still having flavorful meals, why not make some cilantro pesto and freezing it? It will keep very well, for months, and if you make a bunch and fill up an ice-cube plastic tray with it, you can pull it out of the freezer and scoop out one or more cubes each time.
This is what happened here: The drumsticks are cooked almost to completion first and coated the last couple of minutes with frozen cilantro pesto (notice how it even keeps its bright green and pungent garlic flavor). There is an added flavor here, a touch of pomegranate molasses is diluted in a bit of water or fresh lemon juice and used to dress both the couscous and as an added juice to the chicken.
Pomegranate molasses can be quite tart, so goes easy first; add plenty of extra-virgin olive oil to the couscous and chicken to offset the acidity of the molasses.
INGREDIENTS: 3 servings
- 1 Package of chicken drumsticks (6)
- 1/2 Bunch of cilantro
- 4 Cloves of garlic, mashed in a mortar with a teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of pomegranate molasses (or more)
- 4 Tablespoons of water or lemon juice
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, pepper, to taste
- 1 Cup of couscous
- 1 Small chicken bouillon cube or 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 Cup of broccoli or other vegetable
- 1 Large shallot or 2 scallions, minced
- Cook the drumsticks in the oven or on the grill. Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet, add the cilantro and the mashed garlic and cook for 10 seconds; add the drumsticks and coat them in the pesto. Add 1/2 tablespoon of pomegranate molasses and a tablespoon of water or lemon juice and swirl to coat the drumsticks well. Set aside.
- Prepare the couscous by heating some water with the bouillon cube to boiling; add the broccoli and chopped onion and drop the couscous, cover and let it cook 5 minutes till tender. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil, the pomegranate molasses diluted in a couple of tablespoons of water or lemon juice and some salt and pepper to taste. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the chicken drumsticks.
NOTE: You can add some of the cilantro pesto to the couscous at the end of cooking for additional flavor.
17 Comments • Comments Feed