It dawned on me that Easter is coming up when I saw rows of chocolate eggs all over the chocolate stores in Beirut; figured I needed to come up with something quick. My mother subscribes to a French weekly women’s magazine and leafing through it I found what I was looking for; their recipe however was way too bittersweet for my taste, so I added more sugar. Next time, I”ll go the easy route and just get chocolate pudding!
Here is a chocolate cream that can be whipped in minutes.
Happy Easter and Happy Passover!
INGREDIENTS: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch (add one tablespoon more if you like your cream stiffer)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or brandy
- 4 jumbo-size eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Pretzel sticks (optional)
- Hold each egg and cut the top with a sharp knife; collect the egg into a bowl. Wash the egg inside and out and invert on a towel to air-dry.
- Melt the chocolate chips with the butter in the microwave for one minute and stir the mixture to make it creamy; use a teaspoon to smear some cream along the rim of each egg.
- Heat the milk (less 1/2 cup) and cream in a saucepan with the sugar, cocoa, stirring from time to time until dissolved.
- Mix the cornstarch with the milk till dissolved; as soon as the milk starts steaming, pour the cornstarch mixture and stir constantly. Add a teaspoon of vanilla or brandy. The mixture should thicken within minutes. When it is very thick, pour into the eggs and cool on the countertop. Refrigerate covered and serve cold with a Pretzel stick inserted in each egg if desired.
17 Comments • Comments Feed