I mean, sure, I can get fresh sardines and fry them at home; but why should I when I can have them at just about any beach in Lebanon, with a side of tarator (tahini) sauce?
- 1 pound of fresh sardines (bizri) or any tiny fish
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- salt (to taste), 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- oil for frying
- lemons, quartered
- pita bread
- Mix flour, salt and cumin; place in a bowl; heat the oil for frying till 375F or very hot but not smoking.
- Dip the sardines in the flour and fry immediately for 2 minutes; fry the pita bread as well till golden; serve with quartered lemons and some tarator sauce on the side.
- 1 cup of tahini
- 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic mashed with salt
- Mix the tahini gradually with a little lemon juice, adding the water as well and the mashed garlic; mix until creamy and smooth and taste to adjust the amount of lemon or garlic to your liking; can add some chopped parsley to the sauce as well.
40 Comments • Comments Feed