Had to do something with all these fruits! Pears, quince, apples, all stored in the veggie bin and all getting a tad old. The neat thing with this recipe is it will work with any fruit, raw or stewed; so I used some stewed pears and quince and some apple, here and there.
INGREDIENTS: makes 16 bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran (optional)
- 1 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- dash nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 cups cut-up fruit (I used stewed pears, quince and apples, very well drained)
- 1 14 oz jar sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp grape molasses or dark honey
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- whipped cream or ice-cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 350F (180C). In a large bowl, place flour, oat bran, oatmeal, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Combine to mix well. Transfer the mixture to a mixer or food processor and add the butter, cut up in dice. Run the machine till the mixture looks like crumbs, a couple of minutes or so.
- Place 1/2 mixture on an ungreased rectangular pan, 13″X9″ and press with fingers to make it adhere. Bake for 15 minutes. Place the fruits (cut up) all over the baked dough. Mix the molasses or honey with the condensed milk and pour over the fruits; add the chopped nuts, sprinkle them all over the pan. Press the rest of the dough over the fruits.
- Bake again for about 40 minutes or until the top looks set and golden-brown and the fruits are cooked (if they were raw). Cool a bit. Serve the squares warm as is or with whipped cream or some vanilla ice-cream on the side.
15 Comments • Comments Feed