I have been making this lamb cake for years; last year, I had my neighbor Mary and her sister Betty over; Betty lives in New York City. I placed the lamb cake on the table and we were all staring at it when one of its ears, then the other, fell off; then the whole head fell off dramatically in one swoop. Everybody burst out laughing and I must say it was a welcome ice-breaker.
I ordered the mold through the King Arthur Flour catalogue. The instructions are inside the cake mold.
This is a lemon poppy seed pound cake, recipe courtesy of Rose Levy Beranbaum. Mrs. Beranbaum has a very easy and speedy method for making pound cakes.
- 3 Tablespoons of milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (150 g)
- 3/4 cup of sugar (150 g)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- salt, pinch
- 13 tablespoons ( 6.5 ounces or 184 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
Syrup: 5 tablespoons sugar, 2 ounces fresh lemon juice: mix and heat until sugar gets dissolved.
METHOD: Grease and flour the mold using a spray; preheat the oven to 350F
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla and milk
- Mix the dry ingredients at low speed in a mixer; add the poppy seeds and the lemon zest. Add the butter and half the egg mixture.
- Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened; increase the speed and beat for one minute.
- Scrape the sides, adding the remaining egg mixture in two batches, beating for 20 seconds each time. Scrape the batter into the lamb mold (the half of the mold that includes his head) until it fills up the mold and the ears. Place along Q-tip or a bamboo skewer on the ears and press down a bit; this will prevent the ears from falling off after baking. Close the mold tightly, bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes; unmold and pour the syrup over the cake, poking little holes so that the syrup gets absorbed better.
To frost the lamb: Melt in a heavy-bottomed pan 6 ounces of whipping cream; as soon as the cream starts steaming, add 16 ounces of candy vanilla wafers or white chocolate. Turn off the heat and stir until melted. Place the lamb flat on a cookie sheet and start pouring the cream gently all over. Repeat the procedure if you wish, waiting a while to let it dry out and then pouring on another coat of cream.
70 Comments • Comments Feed