Living in Texas I have grown quite fond of Mexican and so-called Tex-Mex cuisine. I love it. So, as I was preparing this mujaddara it occurred to me that a fresh pico de gallo to eat it with would be the most compatible pairing. I mean, mujaddara is supposed to be eaten with a salad of fresh tomatoes and onions, right? I just happened to have a few jalapeño peppers in the fridge waiting to be consumed. So, here is the one perfect, healthy, balanced meal!
The mujaddara recipe is on a separate post. Here is the pico de gallo recipe.
INGREDIENTS: This quantity will yield 6 servings or up to 8
- 3 medium onions (about 5 ounces each)
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 3 medium tomatoes (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 bunch of cilantro (optional)
- 2 limes
- Peel the onion and chop finely in the processor or by hand.
- Cut the jalapeño in half and scrape the seeds and white membranes off and discard.
- Place the peppers in the food processor and pulse a few seconds till chopped fine.
- Place the cilantro (chop off the stems) and pulse a few seconds.
- Quarter the tomatoes and pulse in the food processor as well.
- Squeeze the lime (or lemon) juice over the mixture. Refrigerate and serve.
17 Comments • Comments Feed