This is my all-time favorite soup! It is rustic, comforting, with the wonderful taste of lemon in the broth and it can be prepared in a snap! It is made up of ingredients which constitute an absolute powerhouse of nutrients! Lentils are rich in fiber, iron and magnesium ( good for the heart and to stabilize blood sugar). Swiss chard is exceptionally nutritious with very high concentrations of vitamin K (for bone health) as well as vitamin A (for lung health) as well as minerals such as calcium and magnesium. Fresh lemon juice will ward off the cold and other viruses… When the weather starts to cool, that’s the soup I want in my fridge or freezer. Sahteyn!
1 cup of chopped onion
2 cups of lentils
1 bunch of swiss chard ( can substitute kale or any other leafy greens)
2 or 3 lemons
1/4 cup of cilantro pesto (alyyeh) prepared and stored in freezer
3 Tablespoons of olive oil
3 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (optional)
1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed (optional)
- Fry the onion in the olive oil till golden.
- Add the lentils to the pot with about 6 cups of water or stock. Bring to a boil and cook at a slow simmer till the lentils are cooked, about one hour total time.
- While the lentils are cooking, wash the swiss chard. Using a paring knife, remove the thick ribs and set aside ( to use for another dish ) and chop by piling the leaves on top of each other.
- Add the cubed potatoes and garbanzo beans ( if using a can, rinse it first )to the soup pot.
- Add the swiss chard leaves about 15 minutes later.
- Add the cilantro pesto the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add lemon juice to the soup. Serve hot or at room temperature and place a lemon quarter next to each individual soup bowl in case someone wants more lemon flavor in their soup.
- Serves 6 people.
Check the post on cilantro pesto ( alyyeh ) for directions as it is a good idea to have some stored away.
Large green lentils are preferable to use although the small brown ones are fine.
Spinach, collard greens, or kale can be used instead of swiss chard.
5 Comments • Comments Feed