It is pistachio season and the stores are carrying big bins of fresh pistachios; if you have never had fresh pistachios, I urge you to check your local middle-eastern store to see if they are available; the taste of fresh pistachios is so superior to the old roasted and salty ones, you will wonder how you will be able to go back to them once their season is over.
I made a pesto using pistachios and lemons and tossed it with pasta; we are experiencing a heat wave here, so light is in order.
• 1 cup of pistachios
• olive oil as needed
• salt, pepper, as needed
• juice of half a lemon, as needed
• rind of half a lemon
• half a pound of pasta, preferably fresh
1) Cook pasta in plenty of salted water with a bay leaf or any other spices and drain; coat in olive oil.
2) In a food processor place all the pistachios, a good amount of olive oil, some fresh lemon juice and the rind of a lemon and process until the pistachios are reduced to a paste.
3) Mix the paste with enough olive oil until it is more soupy; mix with the pasta, adjust the salt and pepper and serve.
37 Comments • Comments Feed