If you are going through the trouble of making your own yogurt at home, why not take it one step further and make your own cheese?
This cheese does not require rennet tablets, only milk, yogurt and some fresh lime or lemon juice; a dash of nigella seeds or herbs if you have some.
Time required to prepare this cheese: 30 minutes
The result is a very delicate, mild-tasting cheese, delicious on crackers or toasted bread garnished with a fresh basil leaf. Delightful as an appetizer.
Plus you get to decide how much salt will go in it.
- 1/2 gallon whole milk (1.9 liter)
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 2 tsp of nigella seeds or powdered mint
- Pour the milk in a pot and bring to a boil over low heat; add the yogurt, salt and lemon juice and whisk. Simmer the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes or until the milk turns yellowish in color and the mixture seems to separate into curds and whey. (if not, it will be fine anyway)
- Transfer into a colander lined with a large piece of muslin or several pieces of cheesecloth. When the mixture has drained, add the nigella seeds or herbs. Tie the ends of the muslin and place a heavy weight on the formed bundle (or press on it with the palms of your hands) and let it drain for at least a couple of hours. Refrigerate the cheese for one hour or longer to allow it to set further.
- Serve with fresh herbs such as basil and mint and toasts or crackers.
17 Comments • Comments Feed