This cookie epitomizes Saudi Arabia for most of us: A large country with a huge desert, lots of date trees and tons of oil. It is also the country where the Prophet Mohammed صلى الله عليه وسلم was born and where he spearheaded one of the world’s largest religions.
No baking required!
- 12 ounces of good quality dates such as mejdool or deglet noor, pitted
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter or ghee
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces of toasted walnuts (or any other nuts you like-optional)
- 1 generous teaspoon of ground cardamom
For the optional garnish: a handful of chopped pistachios, or a handful of unsweetened shredded coconut, about 1/2 cup of syrup to help the garnish adhere to the cookie (optional).
- Place the dates in a food processor bowl.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat, add the butter and let it foam; ad the flour and stir till the flour is toasted and cooked (as if making a roux for gumbo); add the walnuts and cardamom and stir a few seconds and place the entire mixture in the food processor.
- Process till the mixture is pasty. Dump the paste into a bowl and start shaping the cookies.
- Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, shape into balls and dip in the syrup a bit then into the pistachios or coconut. Serve.
- These cookies will keep for at least a week tightly sealed in the fridge.
25 Comments • Comments Feed