A fun appetizer that can be prepared ahead of time but should be cooked on the spot when guests arrive. The shrimps are seasoned with cumin and wrapped in a ribbon of kadaifi dough (available frozen in the US and Canada at some supermarkets and Middle-Eastern grocers and online through various sources including Amazon). Heat the oil and fry quickly. Serve with a cocktail sauce spiked with pomegranate molasses. INGREDIENTS:
- 12 jumbo-size shrimps, cooked and frozen
- 2 cups of kadaifi dough
- 3 tsp of cumin
- salt, pepper
- oil to fry the shrimps
- Cocktail sauce: 1/2 cup lite ketchup, 1 tsp of hot sauce, 1 tbsp of pomegranate molasses
- Defrost the shrimps in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. Pat the shrimps dry and sprinkle with cumin. Unroll the kadaifi strands and reserve a ribbon of about 6 inches in length. Wrap around the shrimp and tuck in as tight as possible. Leave all the wrapped shrimps on a paper towel to dry while you heat the oil or cover and place in the fridge for an hour or longer. Place a plate on the shrimp to tighten the kadaifi ribbons.
- Heat the oil to medium-hot and fry the shrimps for one minute, flipping them halfway to cook both sides evenly. Drain and pat dry and serve with the cocktail sauce.
- To make the sauce, combine all three ingredients.
22 Comments • Comments Feed