Lebanese flatbread (Man’ooshe)

Even Lebanese hunks make man’ooshe!

No one will deny that the French without their baguette can no longer be considered French; such is the case for the Lebanese and their man’ooshe.

Man’ooshe is a flatbread that is shaped like a round pizza and eaten for breakfast with various toppings; always freshly baked from a neighborhood oven; cost varies depending on the topping, but usually starts at 75 cents or so for a man’ooshe topped with zaatar (a thyme mixture) and olive oil.

If you eat your man’ooshe like most Lebanese folks on the go before heading for work, you can be guaranteed that you will not feel hungry for hours.

The most common toppings  are zaatar and olive oil, my favorite; cheeses (a variety); kishek (a bulgur and yogurt and tomato mixture);  all  these toppings are offered with fresh vegetables, such as tomatoes, cucumbers, purslane, arugula, sprinkled liberally on the man’ooshe which is then folded and presented encased in a piece of white paper.

The common belief is this: the pungency of the zaatar topping is neutralized by the fresh vegetables.

Here is my favorite man’ooshe version, tasted at Souk el-Tayeb, made with a whole-wheat dough, topped with zaatar and olive oil and wrapped around a salad of fresh purslane and tomatoes.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 batch of dough: click here for a recipe.
  • 1 batch of zaatar
  • olive oil
  • Salad: a bunch of purslane, chopped tomatoes, a bit of chopped onion, dressing made up of olive oil, a dash of sumac and bit of lemon juice, salt to taste.

Click here for a man’ooshe with kishek recipe (red pepper, walnuts, kishek, onion)

1. Posted July 12, 2010 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Lubbly Jubbly!!!

2. Posted July 12, 2010 at 10:32 am | Permalink

I’ve tried man’ooshe before and this is definitely looking so delicious!

3. Sarah
    Posted July 12, 2010 at 10:35 am | Permalink

I need to cook gluten-free, do you think I could substitute a gluten-free pizza crust recipe? Or would that be the wrong consistency?

4. Posted July 12, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink

I like a substantial breakfast!

5. Posted July 12, 2010 at 10:55 am | Permalink

I’ve got to make this, or maybe I should have my husband make it. :D I have some zaatar already and I was planning on making some bread to use it on. Perfect! Thanks!

6. Posted July 12, 2010 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Oh I love manoushi very much, I like to make it on a regular basis, and put just a simple topping, such as za’atar.

7. Posted July 12, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

This looks like a great snack. I’ll definitely have to try it.

8. Posted July 12, 2010 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Who says every country doesn’t have their own form of pizza? The French pile ham and cheese on their baguettes and that hunk in the photo is piling on a salad….much the better idea!

9. Posted July 12, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Looks delicious! So versatile!

Posted July 12, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

@ Sarah: why not? gluten-free or not, what counts is the topping of your choice, in my humble opinion!

11. Posted July 12, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Ah, stuff on bread, everyone’s favourite – especially that stuff – za’atar! Yum. Are you still in Beirut then?

12. Posted July 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Droolworthy and gorgeous flatbread…makes me hungry..

13. Posted July 12, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

That is the kind of snack I crave all the time! Fantastic Middle eastern flatbreads/pizzas!

14. Posted July 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Great photos! In the lower photograph it looks like she is making whole wheat man’oosh by the color of the dough. love the topping ideas.

15. SYLVIA
    Posted July 12, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Natures perfect recipe, bites of heaven, and it’s making me drool, I vividly remember part of my youth living in Ashrafieh mixing the zaatar, and taking it to our neighborhood bakery, and forming them on the fresh dough, we absolutely loved it. Thank you Joumana for recapturing my youth, it is awesome.

16. Posted July 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

oh what a cute post, I love this, I could see myself enjoying this for breakfast, lunch or dinner..yum

sweetlife

17. Posted July 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

This looks and sounds so good! I still need to buy or make some za’atar seasoning.

18. Posted July 12, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Great! I still wait for preparing Lebanon dinner for Polish my friends (most of them are on holiday now).
    Joumana – every nation has its own bread, and it is nice to read and to find out that you have your own in Lebanon, too. Baguette in France, Man’Ooshe in Lebanon and whole rye bread in Poland. Thanks for commenting my last post; us, who grew up in countries hit by the history, poor, destroyed, and not attractive for foreigners, will understand each other without saying too many words…on the other hand, for people, who grew up in a “normal” country, it is difficult to understand all those absurds..don’t you think so ?
    Best regards!

19. Szalony Kucharz
    Posted July 12, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Beautiful flatbread. Just goes to show what universal thing bread is. Will definitely try to make man’ooshe at home, as I am bread-obsessed.

20. Posted July 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Oooh, another wonderful use for za’atar! With a side of yogurt this is the perfect light meal!

21. Posted July 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Looks like a ceremony to me. Delicious.

22. Posted July 12, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

I am feeling lazy, I will call for delivery. Does the Lebanese hunk do delivery in Canada?

23. Posted July 12, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

This looks so good I would have it any time of the day. I will have to also try this. So much food…so little time. I passed on your blog info to a Lebanese friend of mine who wants to learn more about cooking Lebanese food. I hope she checks in.

24. Posted July 12, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I have tried making several flatbreads..tortilla,naan, roti, pita …I am definitely trying your man’ooshe recipe,..thanks for sharing, and the zaatar too, hope I can find sumac here.

25. Posted July 12, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

There’s a bakery in Melbourne. Australia that is famous for this bread! I LOVE it! Thanks for the recipe!

26. Posted July 12, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Love this, I usually like them with chopped garlic and basil with a bit of olive oil…These variations looks so good:)

27. Posted July 12, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Hi there,

Lovely post, enjoyed the pictures :-)

28. Posted July 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

I constantly want to eat my screen when I visit your site. :)

29. Posted July 13, 2010 at 12:48 am | Permalink

This is the best breakfast!! I miss having a good man’oushe! Yalla 12 more days :)

30. Posted July 13, 2010 at 12:59 am | Permalink

Both man and man’ ooshe are making me drool. I’d like a hunk of both varieties, please.

31. Posted July 13, 2010 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Lovely post..

32. Posted July 13, 2010 at 3:28 am | Permalink

Love this post, like to know your local foods, this flatbread sound simple and good, for me, I would love to eat it with curry, must be very yummy.

33. Posted July 13, 2010 at 5:11 am | Permalink

Why in all my carb-addicted life have I never had this before? Hmmm. That needs to be remedied. It looks delicious!

34. Posted July 13, 2010 at 6:32 am | Permalink

This looks delicious. I wish I had a bite right now. I have just returned from work and I am starving.

35. Posted July 13, 2010 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I love Lebanese flatbread. I have not prepared it myself yet, however, I eat it a quite a bit — I have friends that own a beautiful little middle eastern cafe in the bay area and the food is always so perfect. I look forward to the bread and za’atar.

36. Posted July 13, 2010 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Joumana, i love love love manooshe. I have wanted a recipe for the bread for ages and this seems to be the perfect one. Are you still in Lebanon? I am still going around greece with rubbish internet connection but relaxing. Keep the lovely recipes coming!!!!

37. Posted July 13, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this famous bread. Man ‘ooshe looks like thin crust pizza and the topping’s were interesting.

38. Posted July 13, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I love Za’atar when I discovered it! This dish looks delicious! You changed the website up a bit? Love it too…

39. Posted July 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

The name even sounds manly :) Another new wonderful food!

40. Posted July 13, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I am so excited that you have posted man’ooshe, as my wife and I have been trying for a while to find one that reminds her of the breads she ate when living in Lebanon. Yours looks fabulous….can’t wait to give it a try. – S

41. Posted July 14, 2010 at 6:53 am | Permalink

Every country has their own version of what I call Pizza. Love it. Also love seeing that Diesel Jeans T-shirt. The best fitting pair of jeans that I’ve ever owned were Diesel brand. They’re hard to find in the states.

42. Posted July 14, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

It seems that in the old world, there are more savory options for breakfast. I’d certainly go for the cheese man’ooshe, with some purslane on top like in that photo.

43. Posted July 14, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Oui en effet, je vois que les beaux libanais mettent la main à la pâte, un homme qui cuisine, je trouve ça épatant surtout que je n’en voit pas souvent. J’adore ces pains plats, genre galette, merci pour la recette, je vais m’y mettre un de ces jours!

44. Posted July 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

What a good-looking man, I mean, man’ooshe! ;-)

45. Posted July 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

This would be perfect for any meal.
    Mimi

46. Posted July 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

These are great with a side of fresh Labneh

47. Posted July 18, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Oh my, what a dish! And the man’ooshe looks quite good as well! ; )

One Trackback

1. By Apuntes sobre Líbano | Mediterraneando on January 5, 2014 at 11:38 am

[…] comensales van picando de lo que les apetece. Una cosa interesante es que suele ser comido usando man’ooshe, un pan especial plano, en vez de cubiertos, y puede ser un buen plato para picar entre […]