Chocolate truffles

Chocolate is such a personal thing. I almost feel the same with chocolate as I do with perfume. I would hesitate to offer someone chocolate (as perfume) unless I knew exactly what they liked.

By the way, have you heard of  Le Whif? The idea here is to sniff chocolate scent, getting a high from it minus the calories.

In any case, this is  made with Callebaud, which is my favorite maker with  a touch of lime zest.

INGREDIENTS: For 8 truffles (can double or triple the recipe)

• 2 ounces of whipping cream
  • 100 g. or 3.4 ounces of Callebaud dark semi-sweet
  • 1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter
  • Zest of half a lime
  • 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder

1. Grate the chocolate into slivers with a knife. Set aside.
  2. Heat the cream to the boiling point; remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir till the chocolate melts completely. Add the butter and stir to melt. Add the grated lime zest and stir to combine.
  3. Pour into a greased small cube-shaped container. Cover with wrap and store in the fridge for at least 2 hours; remove from the fridge and unmold with a knife; cut into small squares, sprinkle with cocoa powder on all sides and serve.

This post is part of a truffle mania challenge in which some chocolate loving foodies are bringing their own personal touch to truffles on May 30, 2011.

Heavenly Housewife at http://www.donutstodelirium.com/

Stevie at http://weirdcombinations.com/

Shelly ahttp://www.franishnonspeaker.com/

Karen at http://www.gourmetfood.org/blog/

Su ahttp://suvellecouisine.blogspot.com/

Erika ahttp://lifestooshorttoskipdessert.blogspot.com/

The Baking Addict at http://themorethanoccasionalbaker.blogspot.com/

1. Posted May 30, 2011 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Irresistible!

2. Posted May 30, 2011 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Beautifully done! That square shape looks very refined and elegant :D. Thank you so much for participating daaaaahling, your truffles came out truly excellent.
    *kisses* HH

3. Posted May 30, 2011 at 1:39 am | Permalink

These look lovely!

4. Posted May 30, 2011 at 1:40 am | Permalink

They look so beautifull… the pictures are really wonderfull :)
    Thre freshness of the lime zest must work wonderfully in those truffles. Loved it.

5. Posted May 30, 2011 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Very addictive truffles..

6. Posted May 30, 2011 at 2:12 am | Permalink

I have only just got out of bed and this just makes my mouth water….. Diane

7. Posted May 30, 2011 at 3:57 am | Permalink

These are dangerous as many can and will be eaten! I just love the dusting of cocoa powder that balances the sweetness of the chocolate itself.

8. Posted May 30, 2011 at 5:54 am | Permalink

Oh I love the touch of lime here! Adds such an elegant, happy twist.

9. Posted May 30, 2011 at 6:03 am | Permalink

Some great links there, thanks. :-)

10. Posted May 30, 2011 at 6:53 am | Permalink

Lovely, Joumana!

11. Posted May 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Joumana

Your truffles look so elegant. I’ve never heard of Le Whif though the idea makes perfect, though perhaps, slightly unsatisfying sense.

I have not seen Callebaud chocolate here. Do you think that is might be available somewhere in California? I’d love to try it with your recipe sometime.

Posted May 30, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

@Stevie: Callebaut is sold at Williams-sonoma at Wholefoods at Trader’s Joe (probably), in short in all the upscale stores where people care about decent chocolate in bulk.

13. Posted May 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

wow these look so elegant and impressive. I agree with you about chocolate being a personal thing :)

14. Posted May 30, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous photography! I wish I could reach through the screen and snatch one of your beautiful truffles!

15. Posted May 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

These sounds so exotic… lime zest, who would have ever have thought. I love how your truffles are rectangular too!

16. Posted May 31, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Your truffles look wonderful, Joumana! I love that they are not the traditional ball shape – the squares look so elegant. Flavoring them with lime zest sounds exquisite. :-)

17. Posted June 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I should have thought about making my truffles into a different shape than a ball. It would have been so easier in the heat of summer! Yours look so lovely in their square shapes. The half zest of lime sounds intriguing in this recipe. Nice! (And I’m glad you <3 NY!)

18. Posted June 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Truffles are so much fun to make. We did a trio of flavors for Christmas, and they were quite a hit!

19. Posted June 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

These truffles look positively decedent!

20. Posted June 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

That is one of my favourite chocolates, too. I make truffles every Christmas – many and various. This looks yummy. I have started dipping all of mine in chocolate simply because the cocoa gets on everything. But, I know a “true” truffle must be dipped in a thin thin layer of chocolate then in the cocoa oh so quickly. But, I love them anyway I can get them. What a great friendly baking activity!
    valerie

21. Posted June 16, 2011 at 3:37 am | Permalink

Mmmm citrussy flavors like lime or lemon are fabulous with chocolate. And these are indeed so elegant. Perfect!

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] from donuts to delirium; Shelly from the singular Franish Non-speaker, the wonderful Joumana from Taste of Beirut; charming Karen at Gourmet Food and lovely Su from Suvelle Cuisine. A couple participants are new [...]

2. By Truffle Surprise on May 31, 2011 at 1:05 am