Sweet Lime Ice

Ever had sweet limes?

Sweet limes look just like their cousins the lemons, except they are sweet and delicate-tasting and have zero acidity. In Lebanon they are popular as a snack, whenever they are in season;  in the US, they are produced in California I think, but are not widely distributed.

This ice can be made with regular lemons.

INGREDIENTS: 4 to 6 servings

• 4 sweet limes (or lemons), juiced
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • Flavoring of your choice: A teaspoon of rose water or lemon extract or anise
  • Sugar mimosa for garnishing

1. Squeeze the juice of the sweet limes; you should have one cup of juice. Reserve in the fridge.  If using the shells, reserve in the freezer till needed. Make the sugar syrup by pouring the sugar and the water in a saucepan and bringing to a boil, stirring a bit to dissolve the sugar. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and boil for 5 minutes. Add the flavoring of your choice and let the syrup cool, then refrigerate.
  2. Mix the syrup with the sweet lime juice, and pour into an ice-cream maker. You can also freeze and grate later to make granita, which would not require an ice-cream maker.
  3. Serve in the sweet lime shells if desired, with a sugar mimosa on top for garnish.

1. Posted July 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Never seen sweet limes here…This sounds so light and refreshing.

2. Posted July 26, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Great use for sweet limes, looks tasty and beautiful This is my absolute favorite type of “orange” I like to eat it by the dozen lol Lately I’ve been finding it year round here in California. I think I mentioned this before. In Brazil the juice is added to caipirinhas.
    I bet one can also make delicious frozen caipirinhas with this recipe!
    Cheers!
    Hegs

3. Posted July 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

” Citron ” dessert est aussi bon et rafraîchissant qu’il est joli, se doit être…bisous et belle journée

4. Posted July 26, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Nice for summer entertaining… never had sweet limes.

5. Posted July 26, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

I’ve never had such limes… A wonderful sorbet.

6. Posted July 26, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

Lovely idea Joumana ! have a good day, kisses..

7. Posted July 27, 2011 at 3:39 am | Permalink

I don’t think I’ve ever had sweet limes. I’m intrigued!

8. Posted July 27, 2011 at 3:57 am | Permalink

I have never heard of sweet limes but I love what we call “citron givré” which is what you have served here. If I can make this with lemons, I’m in! Lemon sorbet is, for both my husband and me, the ideal summer treat.

9. Posted July 27, 2011 at 4:08 am | Permalink

I just love the idea of this. Diane

10. Posted July 27, 2011 at 4:43 am | Permalink

I just saw a tv show where this farm cultivated all these varieties of limes…both sweet and sour. Can’t take the heat, a sweet lime ice should do the trick!

11. Posted July 27, 2011 at 5:53 am | Permalink

This looks so good. A perfect way to beat the heat :-)

12. Posted July 27, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

This looks like the most refreshing thing on the planet. Lime is absolutely the BEST and I love the idea of adding rose water to it, that must make it dreamy!

13. Posted July 27, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

OH MY GOODNESS – HOW ADORABLE!!!! The way you serve this refreshing summer delight is too cute for words Joumana :) Love it!!!

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

14. Posted July 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

we do indeed live in amazing times, when those without the time or resources to travel the world can still experience so much of it with a quick trip to the grocer’s produce aisle.

funny that i use the ice cream maker to make ices so much more than to make ice creams. need to change the name of that device!

15. Posted July 28, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I had never heard of sweet limes before. They look so pretty served in the shells and would be perfect for a hot, summer day.

16. Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

THIS LOOKS SO AMAZING! Look, you’ve got my typing in caps! ;-) I can not wait to try this. I am crazy about anything citrus and this looks like such a fabulous way to cool off and enjoy the bounty of the summer. I wish I could find these limes though…guess I will have to substitute. Will definitely be bookmarking this one!

17. Posted July 31, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

love these. we eat them in Pakistan a lot. what a lovely way to use them- as a sweet lime ice. x shayma

18. Posted August 1, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

I’ve never tasted sweet lime but hope to some day. These ices look so refreshing. All I want right now is cold food!