National Tabbouleh Day is upon us and this is my (creative) version; (thought I would mention that before you jump the gun).
INGREDIENTS: 6 servings
- 1 cup of green (large) lentils
- 1 large onion
- 4 cups of chopped Italian parsley
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (more to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp of sumac
- 1/2 cup of water or lemon juice
- Place the lentils in a saucepan and add 5 cups of water; bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked but still firm to the bite. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- While the lentils are cooking, chop the onion, tomatoes and parsley and place in the bowl. Add the lentils. Dilute the pomegranate molasses in water or lemon juice and pour on the lentils along with the olive oil, sumac and salt; mix gently to combine and taste to adjust seasoning. Serve at room temperature.