Summer is a perfect season for relaxed, no-fuss, cooking; this salad was prepared at the last minute with ingredients in my pantry and freezer; shrimp, whole-wheat boxed pasta, broccoli, avocados, and a medley of basic spices. Hearty but not heavy. Served with an avocado sauce just because I had some avocado laying around, and figured why not?
INGREDIENTS: 6 servings
- 1 pound of shrimp
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 4 tbsp of olive oil (more as needed)
- juice of a lime or lemon
- rind of a lime or lemon (optional)
- 4 cloves of garlic, mashed into a paste with salt and divided
- 1 tsp of Aleppo pepper or chili powder
- 1/4 cup of assorted herbs
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 cup of broccoli florets, steamed
- 2 avocados, mashed
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup of drained Greek yogurt or labneh (optional)
- 1/2 pound of dry boxed pasta such as penne or tube, whole-wheat preferably
1. Cook the pasta in lots of salted boiling water; the last 5 minutes of cooking, drop the broccoli florets in the pasta water; drain pasta and broccoli when al dente and pour a few tablespoons of olive oil and toss to keep the pasta from sticking.
2. Peel the shrimp and sprinkle with cumin and paprika. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil and fry the shrimp till pink. Add the mashed garlic and half the lemon juice and toss to coat the shrimp. Transfer the shrimp to the pasta bowl and toss with the pasta and broccoli and chopped herbs. Taste and adjust seasoning.
3. Mash the avocados and add the remaining lemon juice, garlic and yogurt or labneh; serve with the pasta.
Um Elias showing me how she prepares zaatar.