Lebanese garden

This is what you could be seeing if you took a (very quick) tour of a garden in a Lebanese mountain village this time of year. The photos were taken at sunset, people were hunting nearby (even though they are supposed to be at least 500 meters away), so this is  just a sample of findings.

Pomegranates, lots of them. These are the sour ones that can be used for pomegranate molasses.

Hundreds of bay leaves, on a tree.

Hundreds of clusters of sumac (wild) ready to be harvested.

Rosemary.

Zaatar ready to be harvested.

more eggplants

A magnificent lemongrass plant

The linden tree to make great calming tea at night.

1. Posted September 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

This is wonderful, what I would give to walk out my door and be able to find these beautiful plants (and food) growing. I love the pomegranates and that spectacular bay tree. Thanks for a lovely post!

2. Posted September 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

A piece of heaven here on earth :) . God blessed this land with plentry of beauties. Thank you, dear Joumana, for sharing it with us!

3. Posted September 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Oh. that I could have all that in MY garden!!

4. Posted September 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Wonderful and so bountiful!

5. Posted September 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

To have a pomegranate tree in the backyard? LOVE it!

6. Posted September 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

I wish these herbs and plants grew in abundance where I am! It is no wonder these are the staples of Lebanese cuisine!

7. Posted September 18, 2012 at 12:30 am | Permalink

What a beautiful garden…all I could ask for. Rosemary, poms and eggplants! Also, I just got back to Huntington Beach and received your book – cannot wait to read it. I am saving the stamps as well :-)

Posted September 18, 2012 at 1:08 am | Permalink

@Banana wonder: oh great, I was wondering if the postal service failed me!

9. Posted September 19, 2012 at 3:43 am | Permalink

All just growing in a garden… how lovely…

10. Posted September 24, 2012 at 5:28 am | Permalink

We dream of having a garden again. This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Joumana.