Maamoul

MAAMOUL DE DEIR-2

Ma’amoul are the holiday cookie par excellence in this part of the world; every family has the designated maamoul maker and in mine we luckily had a grandmother who would make them and decorate them by hand.

I have already posted both recipes and a video-clip on how to make them. They are easy just time-consuming; in the above photos these are from my favorite spot in all of Lebanon, Deir el-Qamar in the Chouf Mountains. This year I discovered a new type of cookie (the large one on the right) which I was told is traditional to this town and is totally sugar-free and made with ghee. Every maamoul shape is symbolic so when I find out why these are so large and sugarfree, I will post it.

Happy holiday!

WISTERIA

Spring is a magical time here in Lebanon, with flowers and buds popping up everywhere.

unknown wildflower in Chouf

1. Posted March 31, 2013 at 8:15 am | Permalink

So tempting! That is a cookie I adore.

Happy Easter!

2. Posted March 31, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

oh my gosh, i LOVE maamoul! i buy them from a middle eastern store in NYC and they come individually wrapped and always keep a couple on me for a snack. I love the date ones, never tried almond. will definitely have to give your recipe a go!

3. Posted March 31, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Mamul is a childhood favorite for me! There used to be vendors selling it on streets. It’s interesting that it’s very rare in Turkey now! I must learn it myself! I’ll go check your recipe! Love all the shapes here! Your grandma must be so talented to shape these with hands!

4. Posted March 31, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Mmm – these are beautiful – not just to look at, but the flavor!

5. Posted March 31, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

I’ve never had maamoul!! I need this in my life. It looks so delish :)

6. Posted April 1, 2013 at 6:35 am | Permalink

Lovely! What do they taste like?

7. Stamatia
    Posted April 1, 2013 at 7:02 am | Permalink

I’ve gotten these in the past from a Lebanese lady who comes to our farmer’s market with various savory Lebanese treats, plus namoura and baklava…I’d hoped I’d see some this Easter since I think she’s Christian, but I didn’t see any on Saturday! So disappointed!

Posted April 1, 2013 at 7:35 am | Permalink

@Judi: the shell is crumbly and buttery like a shortbread and flavored with rose and orange blossom water; the filling varies according to the shape and could be date paste or pistachio paste or walnut or almond paste, to name the traditional fillings.

9. Posted April 1, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

I really wish that American cookies were this awesome! I’ll have to try to make them myself! Thank you!

10. Posted April 1, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

That is so interesting about every family having their own maamoul shape. I will look forward to learn more about the sugar free one.

What glorious, spring photos. I think Wisteria is one of my favorite flowers. I just wish we could grow them here.

11. s
    Posted April 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

hope you had a wonderful Easter, J. maamoul are my favourite – i have always used Claudia Roden’s fool-proof recipe – shall try yours, too. x s

12. Georgia
    Posted April 1, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Beautiful plate of ma’amoul. I am very interested in the sugarfree cookie recipe because of many diabetic members of my family. I always feel sorry that they feel a bit left out when we enjoy sweet treats.

13. Posted April 2, 2013 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Tasty looking cookies and lovely spring flowers!

Posted April 2, 2013 at 4:54 am | Permalink

@Georgia: I will let you know as soon as I get the recipe!

15. Georgia
    Posted April 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Thank you Joumana for supplying the sugarfree maamoul cookie recipe.
    Will we ever get so lucky as to see you presenting a food demo around the US? Thank would be a pleasure.

Posted April 2, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

@Georgia: I will post it asap. Your wish may become reality soon Georgia, will keep you posted! :)

17. Posted April 7, 2013 at 5:27 am | Permalink

I love the different shapes and designs – so interesting that they all have symbolic meaning and are tied to different towns and locations.

18. Posted May 19, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

These are favorite cookies at my house – especially the walnut ones with orange blossom water. Have you posted a recipe for those? Even though i’ve bought a ma’amoul mould, I’ve never gone as far as actually making them from scratch. Maybe soon!

Posted May 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

@Needful things: no you are reminding me I need to! thanks!

20. Sharon
    Posted September 7, 2013 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Joumana,

I am an American/Lebanese. My Sitto made everything by hand as your did. I love Lebanese food and try to recreate it myself. It is never as good as my Sitto’s.

I remember her making the cookie that is on the bottom of the plate. I don’t know the name of them and have been unlucky in trying to find one. Can you help? They were my absolute favorite. After baked they are dipped in the same syrup as baklava. Any help would be abundantly appreciated.

Thank you for sharing your recipes.
    Sharon

Posted September 7, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

@Sharon`; I have been trying to find out what they are called and a friend told me she’d let me know; when i find out i will pass it along :)

22. Sharon
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Joumana,

Thank you! I can’t wait see if you can discover the name of these delicious cookies!!!

23. Sharon
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Joumana,

I wondered if you have had any luck finding a recipe for the cookie we discussed a week or two ago?

Sharon

Posted September 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

@Sharon: I am sorry I am recovering from surgery and have not had any time to think about incidental things; thanks for your understanding.

25. Sharon
    Posted September 23, 2013 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Joumana,

I completely understand. Hope you are healing and getting stronger everyday.

Sharon