Tuna omelet

omelette thon

The idea for this omelet came from Joel Robuchon’s book on his Sunday menus (Les Dimanches de Joel Robuchon); the famed French chef is known for his classic, down-to-earth cuisine and this one was entitled omelette du prêtre or priest omelet. It is a perfect solution when you have just a few minutes to spare. A can of tuna, a few eggs, some herbs or a shallot are all that’s needed.

INGREDIENTS: 2 servings

• 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup of chopped dill or parsley  or onion or shallots (or both)
  • 1 can tuna (3 oz)
  • olive oil, as needed
  • salt, pepper

Mix the ingredients in a bowl; heat 1/3 cup of olive oil in a skillet; pour the omelet and cook for a few minutes until set, pushing the uncooked batter into the hot skillet with a wooden spatula. Serve.

copy omelet tuna

Deir in the ghtaytah

Last days of cool weather in Deir el-Qamar (Chouf mountains).

1. Posted April 21, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

A wonderful omelet! Humble, yet really tasty.

2. Posted April 21, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

I want one for dinner. It looks great.

3. Posted April 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I never thought of putting tuna in an omelet but I love it! Can’t wait to try.

4. Posted April 21, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

What a great idea Joumana! My husband loves tuna but I have never placed it in an omelette – but now I shall. I think I could even add other herbs in it, like tarragon, or fresh rosemary. Then maybe a hint of Tabasco sauce to spice it a bit – yes, a great idea.

5. Posted April 21, 2013 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

So simple and yet a perfectly made omelet!

6. Posted April 21, 2013 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

It looks tasty ! have a good week Joumana!

7. Posted April 22, 2013 at 4:57 am | Permalink

I would have never thought to make a tuna omelet. It looks delicious and I LOVE your first photo, Joumana.

8. Posted April 22, 2013 at 8:20 am | Permalink

I often have a leftover egg and a can of tuna in my fridge when there is nothing else to eat. I’ve actually never thought of combining the two! This is a great recipe

9. Posted April 22, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

J’aime ce livre mais je me rends compte que je suis passée à côté de cette omelette … Et elle me plaît bien ! ;o)
    Bises
    Hélène

10. Posted April 22, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

I’ve always wondered about tuna in an omlette but never tried it. I think this is going to become my go-to supper!

11. Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:17 am | Permalink

How wonderfully Phoenician of you, Joumana!

The pursuit of tuna was one of the things that sent your people out of Tyre and into the rest of the Mediterranean.

Also reminds me of some Roman patinas – simple and delicious!

Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:18 am | Permalink

@SilkRoadGourmet: gee, and here I thought I was promoting a French chef! :) how erudite of you, always in awe of your knowledge!!!

13. Gabi
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 9:15 am | Permalink

That image of the chouf mountains is breathtaking. I never imagined Lebanon being so beautiful. I’ll definitely have to visit some time.

14. Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Looks delish. I love anything with tuna.

15. Posted April 23, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

looks delicious why haven’t I thought of this before adding tuna yum

16. weavethousandflavors
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I love this Joumana and perfect for quick low carB dinners I am always on the look out for! THANKS :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

17. Posted April 28, 2013 at 5:03 am | Permalink

” Thon ” omelette est très belle et a l’air délicieuse….