Red chili paste

chili sauce Can anybody live without some kind of red chili paste in the pantry? I know I can’t!!

I   simply seeded them, puréed them with olive oil and some coarse salt; fast and easy. I am keeping them in the freezer in small 2-ounce plastic bags.

• ½ lb red chili peppers
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Olive oil

1.         Chop the peppers and seed them 2.         Transfer the peppers to a pot and cover with water and one tablespoon of               coarse salt; let them simmer for 20 minutes; until soft and easy to mash.

3. Seed the peppers.

4. Put all in the food processor, until pasty. Keep in the freezer in small separate freezerbags until needed.

NOTE: A fun and old-world method consists in stringing the peppers (after seeding them) and hanging them out in the sun to dry out for a couple of days. Then, once they are dried run them through the mixer to get a purée; add about one teaspoon of salt and mix to combine and store in the fridge in sealed jars.

IMG_6513 chili sauce IMG_3740 Some of my mountain friends told me they would use the pepper leaves to roll, just like grape leaves.

1. Posted October 7, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

A great condiment!

2. weavethousandflavors
    Posted October 7, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Joumana, We all need a really good chili paste in the pantry! Thanks for sharing :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

3. Heidi Siu
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

I also used to make hot chili paste. Other than olive oil, salt and garlic, I also added some vinegar and sugar to taste. With vinegar, you don’t need to freeze the paste. I bottled the paste and kept in the larder. They kept very well to the last drop.

4. Posted October 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Nope – cannot live without chili paste!!

5. Posted October 9, 2013 at 4:48 am | Permalink

I feel the same, the hot red pepper paste is a major staple in my kitchen :)
    I was thinking of you as I recently posted Oruk, a version of baked kibbeh I suppose, from my hometown Antakya. We use walnuts in it and I think you make it with pinenuts? I would love to hear about your version if you don’t mind, here is the link to my post. Thank you in advance! http://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2013/10/homemade-oruk-a-version-of-kibbeh-or-baked-icli-kofte-antakya-style/

6. Posted October 10, 2013 at 4:05 am | Permalink

My heartfelt thanks to you for stopping by and sharing your insight on our version of kibbeh, baked oruk – I greatly appreciate it. I love hearing similarities and variations in this glorious culinary heritage we share : ) My best wishes, Ozlem x

Posted October 10, 2013 at 6:06 am | Permalink

@Ozlem’s Turkish Table: My pleasure Ozlem, I personally deeply appreciate your efforts to bring forth your culture (and our cultural similarities) food, history and traditions combined; there is such richness there and so much to share. :)

8. Posted October 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Who knew it could be this easy?

9. Adva
    Posted December 20, 2013 at 5:32 am | Permalink

Hello Joumana, I love your blog. Beautiful pictures and the recipes looks yummy! Thank you.
    One clarification for this recipe: do you cook/simmer the peppers before mashing them or not? or could it be done either way?

Posted December 20, 2013 at 6:06 am | Permalink

@Adva: I did not cook them, but I know that some folks do cook them prior to mashing them. There are half a dozen ways to prepare the paste, including drying it in the sun, which is supposed to be the best, mine method was just the fastest and the laziest :)

11. Adva
    Posted December 20, 2013 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Thank you for the fast and kind response :)