Stuffed potatoes (Batata mehshiyeh bel-lahem al-mafrum)

dupl stuffed potatoesOne thing the Lebanese Master chefs are known for, is their propensity to stuff veggies. Last time, we stuffed zucchinis (and tiny ones), today we are stuffing perfectly oblong potatoes. Potatoes here are absolutely delicious. I am convinced it is because they are grown nearby. The key here is to pick them about the same size, not too large, so that two stuffed potato could be suitable for one serving; besides it looks prettier. coring potat dupli

stuffed cored pot

stuff with inside

boil stuffed pota dupl

Order of operations:

1. Peel and core the potatoes.

2. Cook the stuffing and stuff the potatoes.

3. Fry the stuffed potatoes.

4. Simmer the stuffed potatoes in a tomato-based sauce till done. Serve.

NOTE: To save time, prepare the tomato/onion sauce in advance and prepare the meat stuffing in advance. The potato pulp can be recycled with a potato and egg omelet or fritters or potato pancakes.

INGREDIENTS: 4 servings

8 smallish potatoes

1/2 lb ground meat (I use 1/2 beef and 1/2 lamb)

Spices for the meat: 1 tsp seven-spice mix or a dash of allspice, cinnamon, black pepper and nutmeg

Salt, to taste

oil, as needed

1 lemon, juiced or 1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses

Tomato sauce: 1 large yellow onion, 6 large tomatoes or 1 28-oz can tomatoes, stewed for 30 minutes with salt and pepper. Fry the chopped onion till translucent about 10 minutes, add the chopped tomatoes and spices, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

1. Peel and core the potatoes; keep the potato pulp in a bowl for another use. Fry the meat with the spices until browned in a small skillet. Stuff the potatoes with the browned meat and seal the opening of the potato with a piece of cored potato pulp in order to prevent the meat from falling off during the cooking process.

2. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large skillet and brown the stuffed potatoes gently and evenly on all sides. Heat the stewed tomato sauce in a pot and add the potatoes one by one into the tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Cool and when ready to serve reheat gently and serve with a rice pilaf if desired.

dupl stuffed potatoes

NOTE: I have been testing this spatula that is supposedly revolutionary; one thing about it definitely got my attention: it can be used in temperatures almost to 500F! It comes in cool, candy, colors. It is very sturdy. I am getting ready to try it on meringue. Will talk about next time if the test is positive.

yellow_large_6

1. Posted October 25, 2013 at 1:35 am | Permalink

I am enthralled with these! the stuffing possibilities seem endless. looking forward to trying this recipe ;)

2. samir
    Posted October 25, 2013 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Marhaba Joumana,,, truly a classic…the spiced filling and the tender earthy potatoes and the resulting flavorful sauce.all healthy and filling….my aunt loved making this dish for us when we were kids… .. need to make this again soon!

3. Posted October 25, 2013 at 5:56 am | Permalink

That looks fabulous! Love to serve this with rice.I am planning to try this with a vegetarian stuffing :)

4. Posted October 25, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Joumana dear, You make the most marvelous stuffed foods. What can anyone ask for when it combines potatoes and meat? Lovely lovely comfort food.

hugs!

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

5. Posted October 25, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

I’m crazy for mafrum! I had it in the market in Tel Aviv and have been experimenting with recipes ever since.

6. Posted October 26, 2013 at 6:03 am | Permalink

Both the potatoes and zucchini look wonderful! I have some oblong potatoes, so I will give this a go this week!

7. Posted October 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I’ve never thought of stuffing potatoes… I stuff all sorts of vegetables, but never potatoes… Until now. They look delicious…

8. Posted October 27, 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Hello! I’ve been reading your site for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out
    from Kingwood Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

9. Posted October 28, 2013 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Your food can turn me vegetarian!

10. Posted October 29, 2013 at 3:52 am | Permalink

Stuffing vegetables is very common here, from zucchini to peppers to tomatoes, but I have never had a stuffed potato? It looks delicious: what meat and veg does not go well with potatoes, right? And the thought of them soaking up that delicious tomato sauce… mmmh.

11. Posted November 1, 2013 at 4:42 am | Permalink

Hi to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this website, and your
    views are nice for new visitors.

12. Posted November 1, 2013 at 6:34 am | Permalink

I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice
    blog like this one today.

13. Posted November 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Potatoes can be so boring, what a great idea to stuff them.

14. Posted November 4, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Lovely crispy potatoes.I am vegeteraian so has to try a diff stuffing .But you must have a great fun stuffing the potatoes that too locally grown .Really impressive.

Priya@ MyKitchenOdyssey

15. Posted November 7, 2013 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you – I’ve been reading your blog for so long, it is my absolute favorite and I’ve cooked so many of your recipes. Living in Egypt currently, and cooking on a daily basis.. your recipes are wonderful.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

@Candace: Shoukran jazeelan! :)

17. Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Quelle belle farce…gourmande

18. Posted January 29, 2014 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web site,
    because i wish for enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page
    conations truly nice funny information too.