Roasted Chestnuts with butter and honey

I used to love winter time in Beirut for one main reason: Cart vendors would start selling chestnuts! It was so fun to get a handful wrapped in a piece of torn newspaper and go eat it at home still hot and mash it with butter and honey!  So I am going to recreate that pleasure somewhat by roasting my own chestnuts bought at the health food store and having them for dinner with butter and honey, just like the good old days.

INGREDIENTS:

• chestnuts
  • unsalted butter, as needed
  • honey, as needed

_MG_1150

1. Score the chestnuts with a sharp knife, drawing a wide X across.
  2. Place them in a cookie sheet or metal pan.
  3. Roast in a preheated 375F oven until they are blackened and the skins have burst.
  4. Remove from the oven and using gloves or mittens immediately remove the skins (both the charred top one and the membrane inside)
  5. Eat warm with a smidgeon of butter and a bit of honey.

_MG_1102 _MG_1104

_MG_1099

_MG_1153

1. Posted November 24, 2009 at 12:16 am | Permalink

OMG, that must taste heavenly!

rosa

2. Posted November 24, 2009 at 1:12 am | Permalink

And in NYC, where I used to live, the cart vendors were selling chestnuts, too. Only we never had them with honey. (Or butter, come to think of it……) Is there anything that smells more heavenly than roasted chestnuts?

3. Posted November 24, 2009 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Nice, my mom gave me chestnuts and I was wondering what to do with them… now I know thanks to you!! It looks delicious with a cup of hot chocolate!!

Posted November 24, 2009 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Toni, I totally agree, heavenly!

5. Posted November 24, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Roasted chestnuts are delicious and can imagine how wonderful they would be with butter and honey.

6. Posted November 24, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Simple but perfect. I often find the peeling a bit of a hassle though. For you it seems to have worked fine.

Posted November 24, 2009 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

I found that scoring them all the way across helps them burst open and makes it a whole lot easier!

8. Posted November 25, 2009 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

That looks delicious! I have had hot chestnuts in Europe, but the honey and butter sounds like a wonderful addition. I am going to have to try that. Thanks so much for the inspiration.
    Lidy

9. Posted November 27, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks for bringing me the memory! Sometimes the smell of the chestnut vendors is so strong that you have to pull your car off the highway and get some, especially in Dora, Jal El Dib–the vendors know how to get you!

I love the way that produce is so seasonal in Lebanon–the sights and smells always remind you of the change in harvests as opposed to everything be available all the time in the supermarkets in the U.S.

Posted November 27, 2009 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I totally agree! It makes you appreciate it so much more!

11. Posted November 28, 2009 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

That looks divine! I love the photographs as well. xx

12. Posted October 1, 2012 at 1:35 am | Permalink

It’s that time of year and I see chestnuts everywhere. I have eaten these all my life, just by themselves. I will have to try it your way. It sounds wonderful!