I used to love winter time in Beirut for one main reason: Cart vendors would start selling chestnuts! It was so fun to get a handful wrapped in a piece of torn newspaper and go eat it at home still hot and mash it with butter and honey! So I am going to recreate that pleasure somewhat by roasting my own chestnuts bought at the health food store and having them for dinner with butter and honey, just like the good old days.
- unsalted butter, as needed
- honey, as needed
- Score the chestnuts with a sharp knife, drawing a wide X across.
- Place them in a cookie sheet or metal pan.
- Roast in a preheated 375F oven until they are blackened and the skins have burst.
- Remove from the oven and using gloves or mittens immediately remove the skins (both the charred top one and the membrane inside)
- Eat warm with a smidgeon of butter and a bit of honey.
12 Comments • Comments Feed