Duck breast with apples

Perfect for a weeknight meal (speedy) yet elegant enough for a sit-down dinner. To coat the apples and duck use a superlative honey ( I used that jar of grape molasses on the left) or apple molasses.

INGREDIENTS: 4 servings

• 2 duck breasts
  • 4 apples, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 stick of unsalted butter (or more as needed)+ 1 tbsp of oil
  • 1/2 cup of grape molasses or apple molasses or honey or raw sugar
  • salt, freshly cracked pepper to taste (I used pink peppercorns with the black)
  1. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet till frothy with a tablespoon of oil; salt and pepper the ducks and place them  skin side on the butter and fry for 10 minutes; turn and fry on the other side 2 to 5 minutes depending on how well-done you like it.
  2. While the ducks are cooking, melt the remaining butter and  add the  molasses or honey in another skillet and add the apple slices, flipping them once to coat them in the sauce; cook gently a few minutes till tender. Slice the duck breasts thinly and serve surrounded by the apple slices.
This recipe is inspired by several online French cooking sites in which the duck and apples are cooked in butter and honey.

1. Posted April 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

What an incredible combination with the honey and apples! Gosh, I haven’t had duck in so long….

2. Posted April 18, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Lovely dish! A marvelous combination.

3. Posted April 19, 2012 at 1:11 am | Permalink

That’s a very uncommon combination for me!
    I ve never cooked duck but your plate looks very inviting and a good reason to try it!
    I ve followed your blog since not so long but I really like it! Mabrouk 3aleik!
    serena

4. Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

I usually don’t like fruit mixed with my meat, but this was DELICIOUS!!!

5. Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

I am so far behind, am going to go back and make sure that I don’t miss a single of your posts. I love this duck recipe, delicious. Off to bookmark some more.

6. Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:02 am | Permalink

Funny, I was just reading an old cookbook and saw an apple-based sauce for duck or goose that looked awesome… and there you made something like it! Looks gorgeous!

7. Posted April 19, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Hey Joumana!

Apples are such a versatile ingredient, and they combine well with nearly anything sweet or savory. This is a wonderful looking dish. I’m wondering, will you be posting a banner that says you’re a finalist in the Saveur Magazine awards?

Alaiyo

Posted April 19, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

@Alaiyo: I was not planning on posting a banner actually. Take care, Joumana

9. Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I absolutely love duck and this preparation is wonderful with the apples and honey!

10. Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I’ve never made duck. Something about their cute quacking… but I do love the combination of the fruit with rare meat. There are two ducks right now outside on my shed…. Hmmmmm.

11. Posted April 19, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

This dish looks so fabulous- the molasses would be fantastic I think, I must try to buy some, this is a dish I could do.

12. Posted April 20, 2012 at 6:48 am | Permalink

This sounds like a great dish to prepare this fall when the apples in my orchard are ripe.

13. Posted April 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I just ordered some moulard breasts from D’Artagnan, can’t wait for them to get here so I can use some in this delicious dish.

14. Posted April 22, 2012 at 2:55 am | Permalink

I love meat with fruit! Always have! We usually make veal with apples but I am loving the idea of duck breast with apples. Stunning! And easy? Yay! Fabulous dish!

15. Posted April 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Un plat savoureux fait pour moi, à mettre dans un ” coin, coin “