Hibiscus tea (Sharab Karkadé)

blog karkadé

A delicious drink made from dried hibiscus flowers. I was gifted with a bunch from my gentleman-farmer friend Salah from Egypt. The taste is tangy and fruity, similar to cranberry flavor. I like to sweeten it and I drink it almost every day, either hot or cold.

Hibiscus tea is supposed to be very healthy and is popular in the region, especially in Egypt.

dup hibiscus drink

1. Posted March 22, 2014 at 1:38 am | Permalink

The tea looks delicious. I love the picture

2. Posted March 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Oh, I just love it, especially during summer, cold with a little bit of honey! :) And yes, it is healthy, because it’s filled with vitamin C and I did find it in Syria also by the name of karkade. In Romania it can be found in Arabic or Turkish shops. :)

3. Posted March 22, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I love hibiscus tea! I made a cocktail with some a while back, with tequila! http://cowenparkkitchen.com/hibiscus-tea-margarita/

4. Posted March 23, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

your tea sounds lovely..i was just wondering whether the hibiscus you dried were the large variety as you’ve pictured because the link seems to depict a different variety..the large variety of hibiscus grow every where here in australia and i’d love to dry them for tea..jane

Posted March 23, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

@teawith hazel these dried hibiscus were a gift from Egypt and next time i see the gentleman farmer I will ask him (in about a week) since it comes from his family’s farm in Egypt. I will give you more precisions at that time, promise!

6. Posted March 24, 2014 at 3:28 am | Permalink

Hi Joumana,
    hibiscus tea is also very popular in Mexico, under the name of “agua de Jamaica”, but it’s consumed chilled and with the addition of lemon juice and sugar.
    I ignore if hibiscus tea was introduced by the Spaniards or by the Lebanese immigrants more recently.
    As you know lebanese cuisine had a fairly strong influence on some of the most popular mexican dishes of nowadays (tacos al pastor being the most famous probably).

Tlaz

Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

@tlazolteotl: Would love to hear more your observations on Lebanese-influenced Mexican native cuisine! I know so many Lebanese who have settled in Latin America, especially Brazil and how they’ve managed to embed Lebanese dishes like kibbeh into the local culture.

8. Posted March 29, 2014 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Hi Joumana! I love Karkadeh tea, too! And just yesterday I came to know also that it may be used to normalize blood pressure, like this: cold karkadeh lowers blood pressure and hot one — raises. Beautiful picture by yours!
    Cheerz,