Lying tabbouleh (Tabbuleh kezzabeh)

blog sad tbouleh

A very talented photographer I met on a job location was telling me about a tabbouleh called lying tabbouleh ( kezzabeh) ;  his grandmother had made it and its remarkable feature is the fact that it does not contain tomatoes. I scrambled for other sources that would mention this tabbouleh;  I found it in Lebanese celebrity chef Ramzi’s cookbook Min Turath Lubnan (about Lebanese culinary heritage). My guess is this tabbouleh was created in the Spring, before tomatoes had a chance to grow and when wild greens are plentiful in the mountains and rural areas.

In any case, I made it one day and loved it; the absence of tomatoes really bring out the lemon flavor from the dressing; this tabbouleh has a higher ratio of bulgur than the classic one with tomatoes; it is light but filling, and would be just perfect to serve with grilled kebabs or steaks. In the villages, it is made with the addition of wild greens foraged this time of year. For those of us living in an urban environment, supermarket-sourced Italian parsley, fresh mint, green onions and fine bulgur (#1) will do just fine. The dressing for this tabbouleh is the usual lemon and olive oil combo. dup lying taboul INGREDIENTS: 4 to 6 servings

• 3/4 cup fine bulgur (#1), soaked in water for 15 minutes, then drained (water squeezed out)
  • 2 bunches Italian parsley, leaves chopped fine
  • 1/2 bunch fresh mint, chopped fine
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped fine (fibrous end discarded)
  • Dressing: 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice and 1/2 cup (extra-virgin) olive oil, salt to taste

NOTE: I had an avocado laying around and ate it with the tabbouleh. Scoop out the tabbouleh with romaine lettuce leaves (traditional) or cabbage leaves or fresh grape leaves or any edible green leaves. People in the mountains have told me that they sometimes used green pepper leaves.

1. Posted March 23, 2014 at 3:42 am | Permalink

Heakthy, frea^sh and delicious!

2. Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:41 am | Permalink

Hm…. interesting variation. My husband looooves tabbouleh in any form and i think would be very interested in this variation. I like the idea about eating it with avocado as well. It must be a nice contrast of textures. x

3. Nadege
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 6:46 am | Permalink

Perfect for a hot summer day. No cooking involved, warming up the kitchen.

4. Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Tabbouleh salad is actually one of my favorites…I make it several times a year I use a finely chopped cucumber along with the tomato. It is the lemony dressing that I enjoy most. Next time, I will not use cucumber or tomato.

Happy spring.

Velva

5. Posted March 23, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Love the simplicity of this and your monochromatic green colors!

6. Posted March 23, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

That looks delicious, Jourmana! Seeing your mention of field greens I’m already thinking of trying this with some chopped arugula.

7. Posted March 24, 2014 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Love the vibrant green color of this dish, it shouts SPRING!

8. Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Just the name of it is wonderful – spring?? Where??

9. samir
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:58 am | Permalink

marhaba joumana. great variation…had to ask.are u of the finely slice the leaves of parsley( to avoid darkening) or chop?

Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

@samir: I used to think that chopping parsley in the food processor was heresy, until i saw my Egyptian friend Phoebe chop her mulukhieh in my processor to perfection. so I am not so judgmental anymore, but I prefer to take my time and chop parsley by hand if possible.

One Trackback