This recipe can be prepared up to 3 weeks ahead, kept in a tight container it stays crispy and fresh, even frozen! Second, the chocolate sauce can be prepared ahead as well and frozen and reheated the day of the party in the microwave. Third, you can make a lot and leftovers can be eaten later that week as a little sweet snack. I say it’s a win-win. And nobody can accuse you of ruining their diet, (after all, meringue is fat-free) and it encourages a convivial ambience, as people help themselves to a stick and a bit of sauce.
I used a recipe from The Cake Bible from Rose Levy Beranbaum, for daquoise. I had some toasted ground almonds in the freezer, which made it convenient.
- Peeled, toasted and finely ground almonds (or hazelnuts) 4 ounces (115g) or 3/4 cup
- cornstarch 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Superfine sugar 4 ounces (115g)
- powdered sugar 3 ounces (85g) or 3/4 cup
- 4 large egg whites (1/2 cup) (120g)
- cream of tartar 1/2 teaspoon
- Prepare the cookie sheets by lining them (you will need 3) with parchment paper.
- Prepare the decorating bag with a smooth tip, and set it in a tall glass.
- Preheat the oven to 200F
- In a food processor, pulse the nuts, cornstarch, 1/2 of the superfine sugar and all the powdered sugar until the mixture is powdery and thoroughly combined. Place in a bowl.
- Beat the whites until frothy, add the cream of tartar. Keep beating, adding one tablespoon of sugar at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form and the meringue is still shiny.
- Add the nut mixture and fold it in manually with a rubber spatula.
- When the mixture is all mixed in, open the decorating bag and put a few spoonfuls in and start piping.
- When all the meringue has been piped, bake in the oven for 2 hours or longer until dry and crispy. You can also leave it overnight in a very slow oven. Just don’t let it brown!
- Semi-sweet chocolate 6 ounces (170g)
- Heavy cream 8ounces (1 cup) (190g)
- Flavoring: Amaretto or any liqueur of your choice (optional)
- Heat the cream until you see steam
- Add the chocolate, cut up in smaller pieces
- Gently stir with a wooden spoon. Add the flavoring. Stir a bit more.
- Cool. Freeze in a tightly sealed container ( up to 6 months). Keep in the fridge up to 2 weeks. Reheat in the microwave, 30 seconds.
8 Comments • Comments Feed