In Lebanon, eggs are made a meal by and of itself. Eggs are not found in desserts, for example. Eggs are combined with different vegetables to make a country-style meal. Baked in an earthenware bowl, eaten with some pita bread , they make a glorious and simple dish. In Deir el-Kamar, in the Shouf region where we spend a good portion of the summer, a very small but stylish restaurant opened up last summer on the side of a mountain road. Everybody in the village was curious to check out their menu. Well, most of the items were egg dishes, such as this one, which is a classic.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed with some salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of sumak, diluted in one tablespoon of water, and stirred a few seconds till mixed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound of potatoes, preferably small butter potatoes
- Heat the olive oil. Slide the potatoes.
- Fry the potatoes until cooked and golden. Remove from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Drop the mashed garlic and sumak paste in oil and stir a few seconds.
- Slide the eggs in the hot oil. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve alongside the potatoes with some pita bread and a salad for a full meal.
12 Comments • Comments Feed