Beet salad (Salatat Shmandar)
March 9, 2009 • Category: Salads
Several beets, orange or red (about 6 medium sized)
1 bunch of green onions, sliced
1/2 cup of tahine paste in a jar
5 cloves of garlic, mashed with a dash of salt or 1 teaspoon of toom (see post)
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of lemon juice
3 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
6 Tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
dash of sea salt, pepper
Whisk all ingredients right before serving and pour on the beets.
- Roast the beets in a 350F oven until they can be pierced with a fork and are tender. Wear gloves if you don’t like to get your hands tinted pink (I don’t mind). Let them cool then peel them and cut them either in slices or in cubes.
- Wash the green onions and slice them as well. Place the sliced beets and onions in a serving bowl.
- Make the tarator dressing by pouring all of the tahine, mashed garlic, lemon juice, in a blender. Mix it all and add some water bit by bit until it is creamy and the taste appeals to you. I like mine garlicky and lemony.
- Either pour the dressing on top of the beets and onions or in a saucer.
- Enjoy the salad at room temperature.
3 Comments • Comments Feed
very nice salad
and very good sit
On April 27, 2009 at 5:38 am
amanda Randolph says:
I tried this recipe and it was delicious! My husband is Egyptian and him and I love your website. Thanks for posting all these recipes, I really appreciate the pics too!
On July 17, 2010 at 8:15 am
Wow! This salad looks so attractive and colorful. I would love to try it.Thanks!
On September 26, 2010 at 7:14 am