Carrot and cheese bars
April 27, 2013 • Category: Dessert
Another version of a carrot and cheese cake I made a couple of years ago; eating a bar feels more virtuous!
INGREDIENTS: 9″x9″ pan (or larger)
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup raw sugar or regular
- 1 tablespoon of grape molasses (optional) or honey
- 1 tablespoon of orange rind (optional)
- 8 oz carrots, shredded fine (4 carrots)
- 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- dash salt
- 8 ounces of labneh or cream cheese or mascarpone, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
METHOD: Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
- Place the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, rind (if using), grape molasses (if using) in the bowl of a mixer and beat at medium speed for 5 minutes until the texture is a bit thick, like a runny mayo. Meanwhile, place the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with a wire whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture; fold the carrots into the batter. Make the cheese layer:
- Beat the cheese with the powdered sugar, cornstarch and vanilla until the cheese batter is smooth. Line the pan with parchment paper and pour the carrot cake batter into the pan in dollops, here and there. Pour the cheese batter (also in dollops here and there). Bake until puffed up and dry, about 20 minutes.
View of a valley in the Chouf, Lebanon.
12 Comments • Comments Feed
Delicious looking and sounding!
On April 27, 2013 at 2:42 am
Delicious-looking bite-sized snacks! Love the addition of cheese here.
On April 27, 2013 at 3:50 am
Carrot and cream cheese-frosting desserts always sound good to me! Love this bar form!
On April 27, 2013 at 5:52 am
Gemma @andgeesaid says:
Yum! This looks wonderful. I love this in bar form! xx
gemma @ http://andgeesaid.blogspot.com.au/
On April 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm
Belinda @zomppa says:
What a wonderful combination (and get some veggies in, too).
On April 27, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Lisa the Gourmet Wog says:
Lovely! I love the idea of making this with Labneh and honey. Delicous
On April 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm
They look wonderful and a really good idea to help with portion control!!
On April 28, 2013 at 4:07 am
This looks extraordinary – so much better than carrot cake, or a carrot cupcake, and the top looks so beautiful and rustic.
On April 28, 2013 at 4:28 am
On April 28, 2013 at 4:56 am
What a wonderful idea! I hadn’t seen a bar version of carrot cake and cream cheese icing until now.
On April 28, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Banana Wonder says:
I could see this at every coffee shop across America next to lemon bars. These look so awesome!
On April 29, 2013 at 4:26 am
Oui, Chef says:
I love using carrots in desserts, so sweet and healthy. I make some carrot-pineapple muffins that are a fave with the kids. Must try this one soon…I even have some cream cheese in the fridge…Hooray!
On April 29, 2013 at 11:54 am