If you are not a liver fan, but need the iron, this is for you. By the time this (easy) homemade pâté is done, the taste of liver is eliminated! The pomegranate molasses adds a fruit sweet and sour flavor, and the cheese spread creaminess. Covered and stored in the fridge, it will keep for a few days. Use it for a party, spooned in prebaked puff pastry shells.
- 1 pound of chicken livers, membranes and tendons removed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup of white wine (or ½ cup white wine vinegar+1/2 cup water)
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of pomegranate molasses (more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika,
- 1/2 cup cream cheese spread or wedges
- Fresh basil leaves or chopped parsley or pomegranate arils, to garnish
- Slice the onions and fry until golden and soft; add the chicken livers, pomegranate molasses and spices; raise the heat and sear them until cooked but still pink inside. Splash the wine and remove the livers into a bowl. Let the sauce reduce and transfer to the bowl with the livers. Purée the livers and onions in a food processor. Add the cream cheese; taste and adjust, if you like it creamier, add more cheese.
- Transfer the pâté to a bowl; open up each pita and slather with a few tablespoons; garnish with basil leaves or chopped parsley or pomegranate arils. Roll up and serve.
3 Comments • Comments Feed