If you happen to like a bit of heat, you will love this version of labneh. At Souk el-Tayeb it is served slathered on a markouk bread baked on the spot.
Since labneh is simply drained yogurt it is very easy to make this at home with a jar of hot red pepper paste, some yogurt and some goat cheese. You can also buy goat yogurt and drain it for a couple of days and mix it with your favorite chili paste. Either way, it will be customized to your liking and the procedure takes only minutes of mixing in a food processor.
- 16 ounces of labneh, ready-made or a one-pound jar of whole yogurt
- 4 ounces of goat cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup (more or less, to taste) of hot red pepper paste
- chopped parsley for garnish
- any flatbread to serve it with
- Take all ingredients and mix in a food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. To make the labneh at home, empty the contents of a jar of yogurt onto a sieve lined with paper towels or a large coffee filter; let it drain its whey for several hours or overnight. Use goat yogurt if you find some, it will taste better or mix in some goat cheese.
25 Comments • Comments Feed