Eggplant and peppers salad
September 30, 2012 • Category: Salads
This salad is easy to prepare; I had a big eggplant (the last ones in the season) and needed to do something. If you have a gas grill you can use it to blacken the eggplant (just lay it over the heat diffuser), or throw the eggplant (skin and all) in your oven to blacken on its own.
INGREDIENTS: 4 servings
- 1 eggplant, about 1 pound
- several bell peppers
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped and mashed in a mortar with a dash of salt
- salt, sumac or paprika
- olive oil, as needed
- 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Blacken the eggplant either on your gas grill or over the stove (lay it on a heat diffuser and turn it anytime one side gets black and charred), or place it on a cookie sheet and bake it at 375F till it is black all over. Remove and peel (carefully, don’t burn your fingers!); lay it on a sieve to drain its brown juice, pressing on it to extract the juice.
- Wash and dry the peppers; dice the peppers and chop the onion; chop the eggplant coarsely and mix with the peppers and onion; pour some olive oil and vinegar and mix (to taste), mashed garlic, and some sumac or paprika if you like. Serve immediately.
17 Comments • Comments Feed
T.W. Barritt says:
Love the presentation – very pretty and colorful!
On September 30, 2012 at 5:19 am
A beautiful salad and tasty combination!
On September 30, 2012 at 6:08 am
Alaiyo Kiasi says:
When I saw “eggplant” in your title, I came running. I was pleasantly surprised with your presentation. This is an attractive way to serve vegetables and particularly eggplant, which is my favorite. Thanks for your creativity and culinary insight!
On September 30, 2012 at 7:30 am
So colourful and pretty! Love how you present it.
On September 30, 2012 at 8:11 am
Oui, Chef says:
What a gorgeous looking salad, I especially like the pepper-top!
On September 30, 2012 at 11:37 am
Banana Wonder says:
mmmm.. what a delicious app! Good use of the last eggplant. Till next year, Summer!
On September 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm
What a charming presentation, Jourmana. It looks delicious!
On September 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm
Kiran @ KiranTarun.c says:
Love the use of tiny eggplants for this recipe. yum!
On September 30, 2012 at 11:40 pm
Nuts about food says:
That is some serious food styling you did there!
On October 1, 2012 at 12:29 am
Turkey's For Life says:
I just love the presentation of your eggplant and peppers salad. Looks so colourful and appetising.
On October 1, 2012 at 2:46 am
Mmmmm, very delicious. We all love this salad in Türkiye and make different version of it Making this salad also add some tomatoes, and for sauce could you try some pomegranate syrup.
On October 1, 2012 at 3:00 am
Belinda @zomppa says:
I love your presentation of dishes – makes me feel like I’m in some fancy dining establishment!
On October 1, 2012 at 5:26 am
@Belinda: Thanks for the praise! I got this metal round cutter, you fit the food in it and plop it on the plate; found it in a kitchen supply store.
On October 1, 2012 at 5:48 am
On October 1, 2012 at 8:24 am
Wonderful!!….I love your salad…..eggplants are my favourite……Abrazotes, Marcela
On October 1, 2012 at 9:16 am
I love your styling Joumana and I am sure the salad tasted great!
On October 3, 2012 at 4:47 am
This turned out surprisingly good! I steamed the peppers and onions since I made it to my weaning twins. They loved it. Thank you for sharing!
On February 7, 2013 at 1:26 am