Eggs poached in tomato sauce (Bayd bel-banadoora)
May 8, 2012 • Category: Main Dish
Proof that simple is best. Eggs are poached in a tomato sauce made with lots of onions, ripe tomatoes and some garlic; scooped up with pita bread. A mouthwatering luncheon or brunch item from the Lebanese rural cuisine.
- 8 eggs, size small (depending on the size of the tomatoes)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic (or to taste) with salt
- olive oil, as needed
- 2 pounds of tomatoes or 1 can of great tomatoes
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet and fry the onions till golden. Add the tomatoes, cut up in dice, the tomato juice and simmer for 20 minutes or so; add the garlic, chopped and pounded into a paste in a mortar with some salt. Simmer a few more minutes then poach each egg in the sauce or in the actual tomato. If using the tomatoes, use the tomato flesh as well for the sauce and drop the eggs in the tomatoes. In that case, it is best to pick small eggs as the large ones will spread all over the sauce.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 10 to 17 minutes until the eggs are set. Serve with pita bread.
11 Comments • Comments Feed
Nuts about food says:
I just made something very similar with the leftovers of my Cinco de Mayo meal! Only my eggs were sunny side up. I think the idea of a poached egg in a whole tomato is pretty cool.
On May 8, 2012 at 3:08 am
Sally - Custard Pie says:
I do so agree that simple is best. Gosh these look good.
On May 8, 2012 at 3:36 am
A great idea! Healthy and so tasty.
On May 8, 2012 at 3:53 am
Belinda @zomppa says:
Beautiful! Such a simple dish, yet it is simply elegant!
On May 8, 2012 at 4:42 am
That egg dish looks yummy! A great idea that i shoulf try soon!
On May 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm
Oui, Chef says:
What a clever and beautiful dish. I’d never thought of baking an egg in tomatoes, I LOVE this!
On May 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Culinaire Amoula says:
Mmm une très bonne idée! Simple et délicieux! Merci! Bonne nuit.
On May 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Tim Vidra says:
Wow that looks pretty amazing. Generally, not much of a tomato fan put that presentation is beautiful and I am going to have try it!
On May 9, 2012 at 4:47 am
Mark Wisecarver says:
Another awesome childhood memory ignited. 🙂
That pot and the Khobaz look great.
On May 9, 2012 at 9:36 am
Hélène (Cannes) says:
Oh j’adore ! Exactement le genre de petit plat dont je me délecterais bien ce soir …
On May 9, 2012 at 10:49 am
This egg dish looks great…so simple and so elegant…beautiful picture Joumana!
Hope you are having a nice week 🙂
On May 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm