French toast (savory)
October 15, 2011 • Category: Main Dish
An idea gleaned from Nathalie’s blog, cuisiner, tout simplement. Prepare the basic batter for a French toast: Eggs beaten with milk; flavor it with tomato paste, dip in Parmesan; fry in butter.
I like the French name for French toast: Pain perdu (lost bread).
I have adapted her recipe by adding some spices to the batter and only adding the cheese at the end; if the toasts are fried with the Parmesan straight on, the cheese will harden and the toasts will not have a chance to cook.
- 6 slices of day-old French bread (regular loaf, soft)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 tsp of tomato paste or red pepper paste
- salt, pepper, 1 tsp of Aleppo pepper, 1/2 tsp of oregano or wild zaatar
- 1 cup of parmesan or mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup of bacon bits or ham (optional)
- butter or oil as needed
- Cut the bread in slices; beat the eggs and milk with the spices and tomato or red pepper paste. Dunk the slices in the batter, heat the skillet with butter and oil and fry the slices on both sides gently for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the bread with cheese (and ham or bacon if using); cover the pan to allow the cheese to soften and serve.
11 Comments • Comments Feed
Belinda @zomppa says:
Oh wow that looks good! Love the addition of tomato here – savory for sure.
On October 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm
hummm!! j’adore cette version salée du pain perdu!! pleine de saveurs et de parfums!!
merci Joumana pour cette excellente idée! bonne journée! bises!
On October 16, 2011 at 12:35 am
Murasaki Shikibu says:
I’ve never tried a savory French toast but it looks very interesting. I made the Arab pancakes yesterday by the way and although mine did not look as good as yours, they tasted great! The plan was to eat 2 and I ended-up eating 5 of them. 😉
On October 16, 2011 at 2:51 am
Oui, Chef says:
I’ve never made a savory french toast, but love the idea of one. This one speaks well to my Italian roots.
On October 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm
looks very tasty Joumana! have a great week….
On October 16, 2011 at 11:33 pm
What a wonderful idea!!! I love French toast… and if it savory I bet I’d love it even more!
On October 17, 2011 at 4:19 am
Oooh, how fun!! I really love the idea of a savory french toast! I will definitely be trying this, Joumana!
On October 17, 2011 at 8:27 am
I really like this idea of a savory French toast! It reminds me a little of a warm bruschetta. Delicious idea!
On October 17, 2011 at 8:41 am
Merci pour ce petit clin d’oeil à la french cuisine…savoureuse
On October 19, 2011 at 11:13 am
Nuts about food says:
Another version I had never thought of! Great idea.
On October 21, 2011 at 4:13 am
I am delighted to add these wonderful Delicious Lebanese recipes to my Breakfasts lunches and dinners,, to share with my friends,,
Cook and enjoy!!
On March 6, 2014 at 11:00 am