Mushroom soup is one of the easiest and most versatile soups. Simple (just mushrooms, onions and nothing else), creamy (with milk and cream), hearty (with meat or chicken). I wanted the soup to be creamy, hearty and filling.
Here is what I came-up with: I used a handful of fajita meat. In Beirut, fajitas and Tex-Mex food have caught-on and, just as in Texas, the butcher shops prepare fajita meat ready-to-go (or shawarma meat). The meat comes already seasoned and cut-up, (saving us a lot of time); you can hit two birds with one stone, by having fajitas one night and mushroom soup the next (or vice-versa)!
INGREDIENTS: 6 to 8 servings
• 1/3 cup oil or butter
• 2 onions, chopped
• 1 1/2 pound button mushrooms (can use an assortment of mushrooms and even dry ones, soaked for a couple of hours in hot water)
• 1/2 pound fajita or shawarma meat, seasoned if possible
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• salt, to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 4 cups water
• 1/4 cup lemon juice or white wine or 1 tablespoon mild vinegar
• 1/2 cup cream (whipping cream), more if desired
1. Heat the oil and pan-fry the onions (first) then mushrooms till golden and softened. Add the fajita meat pieces (drained if marinated) and brown for a few minutes over medium heat. Add the spices and flour and stir. Cook a couple of minutes then add the water, lemon juice (or brandy or vinegar or wine). Bring to a simmer and cook over reduced heat for about 40 minutes, letting the soup bubble-up gently. Add the cream (add more if you like it creamier) and simmer about 10 minutes longer. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve.
5 Comments • Comments Feed
Oui, Chef says:
HA….I’ve never thought of adding meat to my mushroom soups, what a great idea. A double dose of umami never hurt anyone!
On January 25, 2015 at 7:40 pm
@Oui, Chef: It stemmed from laziness, did not want to cook meat, too. 🙂
On January 25, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Love ur posts. I have gluten i tolerance what can I replace the flour with ?
On May 24, 2015 at 10:04 am
@Heba: You can easily replace it with oatmeal or a little quinoa
On May 25, 2015 at 6:23 am
prediksi bola terbaik says:
I am actually grateful to the owner of this website who has shared this wonderful post at
On December 20, 2016 at 11:35 am