Pasta a la gypsy
November 9, 2012 • Category: Main Dish
This crop of eggplants just won’t quit. A pasta dish was in order. This one was inspired by a recipe in an ELLE cookbook for an eggplant gratin called la Bohémienne (the gypsy). The recipe called for eggplants, tomatoes, onions and anchovies. Add whole-wheat penne in the mix and you’ve got dinner covered. INGREDIENTS: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 lb tomatoes (or a large can)
- 2 onions
- 4 anchovies or 1 tbsp anchovy paste
- 1 cup cream or milk
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- dash black pepper
- 1 tbsp hot red pepper paste (optional) or chili powder
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 8 oz whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Peel and cut the eggplant in small chunks; sprinkle with salt, transfer to a colander and let the brown juices come out, about 30 minutes or longer. Dice tomatoes and chop onions. Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil and fry the onions 8 minutes till soft; add the eggplants (previously wiped clean) and fry for 10 minutes; add the tomatoes and simmer the mixture gently for 20 minutes.
- Mash the anchovies in the cream or milk, add the garlic and add to the eggplant mixture. Let the flavors meld for 20 minutes over very gentle heat.
- Cook the pasta and drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water; add the eggplant mixture, garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
14 Comments • Comments Feed
This pasta is certainly drool worthy!
On November 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm
Belinda @zomppa says:
It keeps on giving – and boy is it giving nicely!
On November 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm
T.W. Barritt says:
Love the colors and richness of this pasta dish! Also, love the new photo of you with the quinces!
On November 9, 2012 at 7:57 pm
Tim Vidra says:
Ha! I too am using up the last of the eggplants! I have one large one left and will have to make this!
On November 10, 2012 at 7:06 am
Deepshikha D says:
Your pasta looks delicious! I also love the way you styled the pictures, the mood is perfect 🙂
On November 10, 2012 at 11:00 am
Michelle Trudy says:
I will definitely make this!
On November 10, 2012 at 11:32 am
Now that I know a little more about how to cook eggplant (and that I actually like it) this sounds wonderful to me! I love those rustic bowls!
On November 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm
Wow your pasta looks scrumptious! I love eggplants and can’t seem to find enough ways of eating it. Thanks for sharing!
On November 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm
Still eggplant season! So jealous!
On November 10, 2012 at 7:11 pm
Oui, Chef says:
This looks delicious and so easy, a brilliant use for your abundance of aubergines.
On November 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm
Made it, and it is excellent! Thank you for this recipe and greetings from Hungary.
On November 24, 2012 at 11:27 am
@Llona: So glad to hear this and same to you!
On November 24, 2012 at 11:35 am
Yum yum! I just finished cleaning the kitchen and my husband and I have great big grins on our faces. Great dinner, thanks to you! This is a definite repeat.
On August 3, 2013 at 6:20 pm
@Eliza: Glad to hear it! 🙂
On August 4, 2013 at 1:40 am