July 28, 2012 • Category: Dessert
Carole, at Alter Gusto, is one of my favorite French bloggers (she edits her blog straight from Marseille); she made a classic loaf cake with apricots, olive oil and orange blossom water. I simply substituted peaches.
We are blessed with a glut of peaches this Summer.
You will not detect the taste of the olive oil in these. If you have a good stand-in mixer, you can beat the eggs and sugar initially for at least ten minutes, until the foam is whitish and thick and very fluffy; this way your cake will have the texture of a sponge cake. It is light and not too sweet, which makes it perfect for breakfast or tea-time.
INGREDIENTS: 8 servings, 12 cupcakes or 1 loaf
- 140 g. flour (one cup or 5 oz)
- 40 g. almond meal (4 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 140 g. sugar (one cup or 5 oz)
- 3 large eggs
- 80 g. olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp of orange blossom water
- 6 small peaches or replace with apricots and double the quantity
- a few drops of fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Mix almond meal, flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place eggs and sugar in a mixer bowl and beat on medium speed for several minutes until the mixture is fluffy and light yellow in color. Add the olive oil and orange blossom water in a thin stream and mix well; add the dry ingredients and mix.
- Peel the peaches and split into halves; butter each muffin pan then place the peach half on it and a few tablespoons of batter on top. Bake in a medium oven (350F) for 12 minutes or until puffed and dry. Cool and serve.
NOTE: You may wish to sprinkle a few drops of fresh lemon juice on the peaches, to prevent their discoloration; this step is not absolutely necessary.
7 Comments • Comments Feed
Belinda @zomppa says:
What a gorgeous little treat! SUch beautiful flavor.
On July 28, 2012 at 2:37 pm
This is much more than just a peach cupcake-it’s delightful.
We had a peak season of peaches too and it was amazing.
On July 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm
These peach cupcakes look stunning! Finally some cupcakes without heavy frosting!
On July 28, 2012 at 10:47 pm
I want some for breakfast!
On July 30, 2012 at 11:34 pm
Oui, Chef says:
Beautiful AND delicious….two of my favorite ways of describing food.
On August 3, 2012 at 6:29 am
Sucre en poudre says:
J’ai aussi fait ce cake de Carole en gardant sa version aux abricots mais les pêches c’ est une bonne idée!
On August 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm