Peas and radish greens soup
December 16, 2012 • Category: Soups
In my (mountain) home town of Deir el-Qamar, radishes are huge. Apparently, these are winter radishes; in the Summer, they switch back to their normal size.
Radish greens are purported to be super nutritious; there are many ways they can be used (I have made pasta with them, salads, pesto). In a soup instead of, say, spinach.
- 1 bag of frozen peas
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 2 bunches of radish greens
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of yogurt
- salt, pepper, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of turmeric
- Dash of hot red pepper (optional)
- olive oil
- Chop the onion; peel and dice the potatoes. Wash the radish greens well. Peel and chop the garlic and mash in a mortar with a dash of salt. Heat the oil in a soup pot and fry the onions with the potatoes for 7 minutes; drop the radish greens, garlic, and add 6 cups of water and the spices; cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the peas the last 5 minutes of cooking. Use an immersion blender and purée the mixture. Add the yogurt and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve warm.
10 Comments • Comments Feed
A tasty soup! Radish greens are so delicious.
On December 16, 2012 at 4:28 am
T.W. Barritt says:
What a great idea to combine peas and radishes – sort of a sweet and biting contrast between the two. Lovely photos!
On December 16, 2012 at 5:05 am
Such huge radishes!! Wow! I am always looking for new recipes for the radish greens we have in abundance here in the spring, and this soup looks delightful!
On December 16, 2012 at 8:14 am
GOODMORNIG! GREAT SOUP! MADE A VARIATION USING FRESH DILL,GROUND CORIANDER SEEDS AS SPICES AND BUTTERMILK INSTEAD OF YOGURT (SECOND BATCH). BEST OF HEALTH TO YOU AND EVERYBODY IN THE SITE!
On December 16, 2012 at 10:03 am
A Canadian Foodie says:
The bowl is gorgeous – the green peas would add the sweet to the tart – I am a fan of all soups. Have met a couple I couldn’t eat, but that is very rare.
On December 16, 2012 at 10:32 am
Belinda @zomppa says:
I would not normally think radish and peas would make a delicious soup, but as usual, you surprise me!
On December 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm
Joumana, how interesting! I always want to make something with radish leaves. and your recipe a very good way to use it.
is it possible to replace green peas with green beans?
On December 16, 2012 at 9:54 pm
@Elena: Sure, I would! Green beans sounds good too!
On December 17, 2012 at 12:46 am
Wish i get a bowl of this thick and healthy soup.
On December 17, 2012 at 8:53 am
Joumana , I prepared this soup and I like it . Really interesting taste. Next time I want to try to replace potatoes with cauliflower and carrots in order to reduce amount of calories.
On December 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm