This is the easiest kibbeh pie you will ever make. No stress is involved here: just pick your favorite potatoes, boil them and mash them and mix them with some bulgur (added protein!) and herbs. Make a separate filling such as a ground beef with onion and bell peppers and spices, and the assembly of this kibbeh pie is a no-brainer.
- 3 pounds of your favorite potatoes (I used Yukon gold)
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 1/4 cup of bulgur #1 (extra-fine)
- 1 bunch of flat-leaved parsley
- several cloves of garlic
- Spices: salt, 1/2 teaspoon of white or black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of allspice, a dash of cinnamon, rind of half a lemon (optional)
For the filling:
- 1/2 pound of ground beef or lamb
- 1 onion
- 1/3 cup of pine nuts (substitute almonds or walnuts or pecans)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed in a mortar with a dash of salt
- Spices: salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of allspice, 1/2 teaspoon of Aleppo pepper or paprika or chili powder (optional)
- Make the filling ahead of time: Chop the onion and bell pepper in small dice. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry the onion and bell pepper for 5 minutes until softened; add the meat, garlic and spices and fry till the meat is cooked. Drain excess oil and set aside.
- Boil the potatoes till soft; drain and peel and mash; add some olive oil and salt and spices to the potatoes and set aside. Place the bulgur in a bowl and add some hot water to cover; let it soften for a few minutes and when it feels soft to the touch, drain it and squeeze the extra water out thoroughly. Add to the potatoes.
- Chop the parsley leaves fine and add to the potatoes. Add the spices and taste and adjust seasoning. Mix thoroughly to incorporate the mixture. Grease a pie pan with oil and divide the potato kibbeh in half. Roll it out between two sheets of wax paper and remove the top sheet of paper; flip the bottom onto the pie plate. Cut the excess potato mixture and patch it up to fit the pan. Place the meat filling on top of the bottom layer. Roll out the top layer and flip it over the meat filling, pinching it to fit the pie plate. Score the potato kibbeh with a knife, forming a small ball with the excess potato mixture; drizzle some olive oil over the top of the pie and bake in a 350F oven till hot, running it under the broiler for a minute or so to brown it. Serve warm.
27 Comments • Comments Feed