i am still trying to come to grips with this Valentine business; my definition of it seems to change with my mood at the time. Today, it is primarily sensual: I mean who does not want to taste a creamy ganache and a tangy raspberry mousse in the same bite? Two sensations in one, yes! Enough said.
- 1 package frozen raspberries, defrosted (12 or 14 ounces)
- up to 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup of whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons of plain gelatin, melted in 2 tablespoons of cold water
- Place the raspberries and sugar in a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes till sugar is melted.
- Pour the mixture in a blender and puree. Strain into a bowl through a sieve.
- Using a spatula, force the raspberry puree through, leaving the seeds out. Collect one cup for this dessert and leave the rest for another dish.
- In a tiny bowl, pour 2 tablespoons of cold water; sprinkle the gelatin over and let it rest for 5 minutes; it will drink up the water. Meanwhile,
- Whip the cream in a bowl till soft peaks form. Set aside for a minute. Place the gelatin in the microwave for 15 seconds till liquid. Mix quickly into the raspberry puree.
- Fold the raspberry and gelatin mixture into the whipped cream. Pour into the containers of your choice and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- 200 g (or 2 bars) of the best quality chocolate ( Callebaut or Lindt, at least 50% cocoa solids)
- 150 g whipping cream (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon liqueur of choice (optional)
- Cut the chocolate in small pieces.
- Heat the cream till small bubbles appear; add the chocolate and let it sit for one minute.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted, heat turned off. Ganache is ready, can use it right away, cool it in the fridge to form truffles or freeze it for a couple months or longer to use later.
Assembly: Release the raspberry mousse from the molds, cover with ganache and refrigerate. If you wish, you can add a strawberry sauce. I made the sauce by throwing a bag of frozen strawberries and about 1/3 cup of sugar in the blender.
NOTE: Recommended movie for a Valentine’s evening Hope Springs with Colin Firth, Minnie Driver, Mary Steenburgen and others. Cute movie and guaranteed entertainment!
20 Comments • Comments Feed