August 20, 2009 • Category: Dessert
I don’t know why I don’t make this more often. Everybody loves it and it is also good for you. I saw a handful of rice leftover and I thought “that’s it”, I will make roz bel haleeb! Picked up Anissa’s book Lebanese Cuisine and voilà!
Recipe from Lebanese Cuisine by Anissa Helou, adapted.
INGREDIENTS: Quantity will serve 4 to 6 people
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of short-grain rice (I used sushi, but Egyptian or Turkish rice works also well)
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup (3 tablespoons) of sugar
- Flavoring: 1 vanilla bean, rose water, orange blossom water (1 teaspoon of each)
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes (optional step)
- Cook the rice in water until it has absorbed almost all the water and is tender (use directions on the package or add enough water to cover the rice by one inch) (I used 1 1/3 cup of water)
- Add the milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the vanilla seeds if using, stirring to distribute them evenly throughout the pot.
- Lower the heat and let the mixture steam and simmer gently. Stir as often as possible to prevent the milk from burning and scorching the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add the sugar and keep stirring.
- When the rice mixture is thick and creamy, add the rose and orange blossom water stirring a few more seconds.
- Pour the rice into individual serving cups and serve at room temperature or chilled.
6 Comments • Comments Feed
I didn’t hear before about the sushi rice 🙂
thanks Joumana for the easy and nice recipe
On August 22, 2009 at 9:32 am
Yeah, I use the sushi rice for stuffing koossa and warak ‘enab too! works great!
On August 22, 2009 at 3:35 pm
My mother used to make this every Saturday morning, and with three boys it usually lasts until Saturday lunch.
She would add a little lemon zest to the final mixture before it cools but after taking it off the fire.
On November 9, 2017 at 6:32 am
Joumana Accad says:
You had a wonderful mother!
On November 11, 2017 at 8:02 pm
I had a cup of leftover leftover cooked basmati rice waiting to be used up so I thought why not make rice pudding . The recipe I usually make cooks the rice in milk directly , I am relying on your recipe and waiting to see how it turns out ! Orange blossom water as a final touch . yum !
On October 10, 2022 at 10:29 pm
@P Hope it turns out to your liking! Sorry for the delay in responding, I am moving to another apartment.
On October 17, 2022 at 12:59 am