The Palestinian grocer in my neighborhood has been unloading mountains of fresh fava beans; here is an easy and tasty way to prepare them.
- 8 ounces of spaghetti, whole-wheat if you wish
- 1 pound of fava beans, fresh or frozen
- 4 cloves of garlic, mashed with a dash of salt
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro (or parsley, or basil)
- 8 ounces of yogurt
- olive oil, as needed
- Make the cilantro pesto: If you don’t like cilantro, substitute parsley or basil.
- Chop the cilantro, mash the garlic with a dash of salt in a mortar; heat some olive oil and fry the two for a few seconds till fragrant (no more than 30 seconds, please). Set aside.
- Cook the fava beans in salted water till tender, letting the water evaporate or leave a quarter cup of water in the pot. Add the cilantro pesto to the fava beans, add the yogurt, mix well, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cook the spaghetti in lots of boiling water, drain and add to the sauce. Serve immediately.
42 Comments • Comments Feed