This is a poor man’s pasta dish that delivers a refined taste that will have you begging for more. If you can, use spinach tagliatelle or the best egg pasta you can find; luckily here in Beirut boxed pasta comes straight from Italy and this one cooks in 2 minutes. That leaves you 20 minutes to make the sauce from scratch with an onion, a can of good tomatoes (we still get fresh ones here) and a can of tuna (this one is from Spain).
INGREDIENTS: 4 generous servings
- 8 oz of spinach tagliatelle, extra-fine (or any other boxed egg pasta)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large can of tomatoes or 1 lb of tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed in a mortar with a teaspoon of salt
- 1 can of tuna in oil (about 6 oz)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil, plus more to coat the pasta
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil and fry the onion till soft and golden, about 10 minutes, over medium-low heat. Add the diced tomatoes with their juice (enough juice for at least 2 1/2 cups); simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or longer; drain the tuna and add to the sauce, splitting the large pieces with a fork and let the tuna cook a few minutes with the tomato sauce. Add the garlic the last few minutes of cooking, taste and adjust seasoning. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box and drain; coat the pasta with a swigger of olive oil and serve with the sauce.
7 Comments • Comments Feed