Potato hummus with lamb

This should conclude my hummus week (unless I feel the urge to make yet another hummus mañana); this is a classic potato with tarator (tahini) sauce, except I used (organic) sweet potatoes.

The lamb chops are marinated briefly in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic paste, Aleppo pepper and  wild zaatar or thyme.

INGREDIENTS: Per potato (weight about 12 ounces)

• 1 sweet potato, per serving
  • 3 tablespoons of tahini
  • 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
  • 3 cloves of garlic, mashed with a dash of salt
  • water, as needed (one or more tablespoons)

1. Bake the potato in the microwave for 6 minutes (or in the oven for a lot longer).
  2. Scoop out the flesh and mash briefly with the tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt. If the potato is too dry and crumbly, but the taste is perfect, add a tablespoon of water (or more) to get it moister. Serve at room temperature or warm.

1. Posted August 27, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

That is a droolworthy dish! I really like that Lebanese potato mash…

2. Posted August 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

What a fabulous idea! I bet it would also be lovely with orange sweet potatoes – will definitely be giving this a try as we eat lamb all the time (it’s my favourite meat).

Great series of posts – loved them!

3. Posted August 27, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I will miss your hummus week and look forward to you getting back into a hummus mood. I have never made hummus out of anything but beans. The idea of a sweet potato just tickles my fancy and love it paired with the lamb.

4. Posted August 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful and clever presentation. I love it!

5. Posted August 27, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Lots of great hummus ideas. They can make a boring meal quite different. Lots of creativity in your different ones presented this week. The lamb looks succulent by the way!

6. Posted August 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Two of my very favorite foods– hummus and sweet potatoes — and yet I would never have thought to put them together! Now I can’t wait.

7. Posted August 28, 2011 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Great hummus ideas Joumana! have a good Sunday…

8. Posted August 28, 2011 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Hummus week – love it! This potato hummus is really inventive, Joumana. Great work.

9. Posted August 28, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Cela fait une éternité que je n’ai pas cuisiné la patate douce. De plus, purée +,tahiné: un mélange qui doit être délicieux. Je note.
    A très bientôt

10. Posted August 28, 2011 at 3:58 am | Permalink

What a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess what I am going to cook now ;p love xoxo

11. Posted August 28, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

cette petite cote d’agneau me donne des envies de bbq!!!pierre

12. Posted August 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I love all the different hummus you’ve been experimenting with!

13. Posted August 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

fun dish and adore lamb looks awesome

14. Posted August 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Been out for a week, just now catching up … going to bookmark this whole series for sure!

15. Posted August 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I have a sweet potato hummus coming up, too! It was totally new to me, but I loved the flavor!

16. Posted August 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

That looks dry thought the taste seems savory.

17. Posted August 31, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Your hummus series has been so much fun to read – I really got an education, and working at a Middle Eastern style restaurant, I feel inspired to bring some of these things to the table!

18. Posted August 31, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Beautiful dish! I have enjoyed your hummus series and this one is no exception…delightful!

19. Posted September 1, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink