This salad is easy to prepare; I had a big eggplant (the last ones in the season) and needed to do something. If you have a gas grill you can use it to blacken the eggplant (just lay it over the heat diffuser), or throw the eggplant (skin and all) in your oven to blacken on its own.
INGREDIENTS: 4 servings
- 1 eggplant, about 1 pound
- several bell peppers
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped and mashed in a mortar with a dash of salt
- salt, sumac or paprika
- olive oil, as needed
- 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Blacken the eggplant either on your gas grill or over the stove (lay it on a heat diffuser and turn it anytime one side gets black and charred), or place it on a cookie sheet and bake it at 375F till it is black all over. Remove and peel (carefully, don’t burn your fingers!); lay it on a sieve to drain its brown juice, pressing on it to extract the juice.
- Wash and dry the peppers; dice the peppers and chop the onion; chop the eggplant coarsely and mix with the peppers and onion; pour some olive oil and vinegar and mix (to taste), mashed garlic, and some sumac or paprika if you like. Serve immediately.
17 Comments • Comments Feed